FINISHED Fiat G-50 Part Trois *All glory to the Hypno-Fiat!*

RadBaron

challenging build, challenging paint scheme!

There is something about those Italian birds that i really like.

Also interesting re the MRP paints - I didn't realise they did specific Italian colours...I wonder if they change half way through just like the real thing? :ph34r:

Feeble joke aside, can't wait to see more of this one.

Nick

On 1/16/2021 at 4:49 AM, nmayhew said:

Also interesting re the MRP paints - I didn't realise they did specific Italian colours...

I giggled at the joke :lol:

MRP seem to be putting out all kinds of paint mixes, their range seems to be growing rapidly!

On 1/17/2021 at 4:51 AM, MARU5137 said:

Looking forward to seeing your  Engine..

:thumbsup:

Progress has begun!

Plasticard pushrod and wire for the oil return lines

20210118_084010

Ignition leads have been started.

20210118_084026

The cockpit looked a bit bare, so I've added some wire looms, yet to be painted. 

20210118_083932

The seatbelts on these things were chained to the aircraft. The kit provides photo etched representations of the chains, but these suffer from the usual photo etched foibles of being 2 dimensional and not being able to be posed naturally. 

I bought a cheap jewelry chain of a close enough size, and used it in place of the etched parts. 

20210118_083914

I've drawn in where ill add some structure inside the engine cowl, and that is now glued together and drying!

20210118_083944

Tonight will be more ignition leads. 10 sets remaining!

Denzil

I built this kit about5 years ago and absolutely loved it! I'm a fan of the less popular, ugly and supposed underdog aircraft, so for me this was a must have. I will admit, being new with my Grex airbrush at the time, I settled for a more simplistic paint scheme. 

Now that PCM has closed up, I hope someone else picks up the Italian aircraft as they are sadly under represented and quite unique.

On 24/01/2021 at 12:25 AM, MikeMaben said:

jDVFOru.jpg

pRKIep2.jpg

That looks fantastic! Exactly what I'm trying to achieve, and i think yours probably looks more in scale than mine. Dust it off and get her across the line :D

Thabks very much guys, I appreciate the support!

This week has been a busy one, so not much bench time. A weekend visiting friends in Texas included some time spent aviating, backseating in this 1929 Curtiss Robin. 

20210123_134114

IMG_5400

Good Times!

I got a few little things done on the G50, first up was a bit if tail surgery. The kit gives the option of long or short tail fairings, the machine im building had the short tail, so out with the saw.

20210120_155920

A rough cut, then filed to the appropriate panel line. 

Here are the two lengths compared

20210120_155932

The fit was surprisingly good. 

I started experimenting with the structure inside the cowling. Using metal tape, I ran a rivet tool along the tape and glued strips inside the cowl.

20210120_160024

20210120_155901

With the engine in place, little will be seen.

20210120_155851

Thanks for watching!

On 1/16/2021 at 2:54 AM, mpk said:

I have the Finnish version of this kit. I will be watching with interest. :popcorn:

Other than the obvious paint & marking differences, is there any particular structural differences between the Finnish and Italian versions? I've contemplated picking up another one, but the Reggia one is hard to find while the Finnish one seems to be easier to locate. I'd love to tackle one of those hypnotic pain schemes.