SBD-4 Photo Questions

ChuckD

Good morning, gents.  I'm eyeing my next project after completing the P-47D over in the RFI forum a few days ago.  This one will be a real challenge and there's a high probability of failure, but I'm going to try to recreate this photo in diorama form.

iS2k7Iz.jpg

That said, in looking this over, I have a few questions and I'm hoping you all can help shed some light on them.

3svx7qz.jpg

1. What is the small, oval access panel on the side of the fuselage for?  I suspect this mechanic was salvaging something from that access panel in this photo as every other access panel on the aircraft appears to be closed up, and he's out of position for any of the access panels on the top of the wing.

2. There's a thin strap that surrounds the wing where the inner and outer sections of wings meet.  It's shown prominently here: epvRe6G.jpg 

I assume that is removed to access the wing attach points.  In the primary photo, it does not appear to be present on either the inner or outer wing panel insofar as I can tell.  My question is - is the wing separation centered under that strap?  I'm assuming the wing sections split in a continuation of the line created by the flaps in the photo immediately above.  Is that correct?  If so, my intent is to saw the kit wings directly along the center of that strap, then sand the strap halves off of each wing section.  

3. What the heck does that mechanic have on his head?  All I can see is a black beret, but I know that can't be right.  I thought it was just long hair, but it just doesn't look correct.  I'm going to be sculpting this figure from scratch, so I'd love to have as solid a starting point as possible.

4. Does anyone else see a second person here?  Looks like a guy with his cap pulled waaaaay back on his head so that the bill is almost vertical.  I honestly didn't see him until I began making this post.  Looks like maybe he's sitting cross-legged maybe leaning against the left main wheel.  There are a couple of access panels just above him, so that seems plausible.

Anyway, I appreciate any input you may have.  I haven't been able to find any other photos of this aircraft or scene, so any thoughts or input is valued.  

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

If you look at the first COLOR photo, you can just make out the round access hole on the fuselage side.  Something to do with the throttle quadrant maybe?

Do you mean the third photo in the OP, or the color photo in LSP_Ron’s post with the large circular hole in the rear fuselage?  If the latter, I think that’s where the life raft was stored.

Edited by Dave Williams