Well my compressor is gonna hit the can soon!

Neo

HI guys 

my compressor is gona die any minute now, started to make weird bearing sound today, originally it was on a tank, last year the tak started leaking and modified it to work tankless, but now its giving up. 

it had a ok life i guess its one of those tcp global/master tc-20 lated 7years

looking around to get a new one with a tank, i was going to buy "Master Airbrush 1/5 HP Cool Runner II" a last year when my tank busted but now amazon.ca dosent have them anymore  :( 

i saw this guy California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S https://www.amazon.ca/California-Air-Tools-CAT-1P1060S-Compressor/dp/B01LYHYHEA/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=airbrush%2Bcompressor&qid=1609288682&sr=8-17&th=1

i know their compressors are great but i feel its a bit loud 

what are you guys using these days? 

32 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Once again, I can’t recommend getting a CO2 setup highly enough.  I have literally never met or heard of a single person who switched from a compressor to CO2 who has regretted it, or who didn’t wish they’d done it years before.  CO2 has no moving parts aside from a valve, zero moisture, zero noise.  There is no down side to it at all.  

Jennings;  Do you mean directly from a Co2 cannister such as one might use in a planted fish tank to supplement the available Co2 for the plants? If so, what kind of adaptor are you using?  Thanks in advance!!

30 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

How much does it cost to refill the tank? Reasonable?

If the Co2 tanks Jennings is referring to is what I am thinking of, it should be quite inexpensive (depending on where you live). Be aware, that Co2 tanks do have a limited life span and must be tested and certified safe (again, depending on the local regs where you live) after every so many refills. There is cost involved, especially if the tank can no longer be certified.  In my area, most dealers are willing to offer you deals, however, when you need to replace the tank.  Hope this helps a little. 

11 hours ago, Daywalker said:

Mine died a couple of weeks ago, bought this one on Amazon and so far seems to be working well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VT2F5N9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thats like the one i have. 

Lasted quite some time. Make sure you drain the tank. Mine rusted from the interior and started leaking

10 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

You need a CO2 cylinder (I use a 20 lb size) and a regulator.  That’s it.  That’s all you need.  Contrary to what some people will try to tell you, you do *not* need a two-stage regulator.  I bought mine for like $65 on Amazon.  I purchased the cylinder, and when it runs dry, I take it to a welding/gas supply and trade it for a newly inspected and filled tank.  A 20# tank will paint a LOT of models.

I remember you mentioning this before. Ill take a look at the availability around here. Also have to find where i would put it

I have a similar (to the California) Fortress model from Harbor Freight. It is advertised as 56db. It sits at my feet while I'm painting. IMHO it isn't too loud. I got it for around $110 when it was on 'sale' and a $20 coupon.

As most of my close friends I'm using a Werther Sil Air. This is really the top end of Italian compressors. This suitcase-shaped oil bath compressor works totally silently, can run for hours, has an easy pressure ajustement knob and moisture control system. I do not know anyone who had a breakdown even after decades of use. HOWEVER, not surprisingly, they are quite expensive. Maintenance is very simple. Just drain the tank sometimes (very easy) and after some years of use replace the fine-grade oil (less easy but not that terrible).

Hth 

Thierry

Jun Air, 6-15, with a 15 litre tank attached. Quiet, reliable and built like a tank - it's very heavy & will outlive me & my kids. Requires zero maintenance. Originally used extensively in dental surgeries, mine was being used to open doors.

Oil lubricated - hence 45 dB(A) sound - but so well engineered zero gets into the air line.

EBay tends to have a few for sale, at least in the UK. Brand new they cost thousands, but used ones can be had for less than £100.

I have a California Air Tools compressor and it's great.  MUCH quieter than the Porter-Cable unit it replaced.  If I was just doing airbrushing I suppose I might switch to a CO2 cylinder, but the CO2 cylinder can't fill up your car tires or operate a nail gun...

CO2 is the way to go. SOOOO much easier to work with. I use a 5 lb tank and it costs about $25 to fill. I built a tank support from scrap metal from work and had one of our welders weld the 2 circle straps on and then I painted it and screwed it into the side of my modeling bench. 

I bought a kegerator regulator off of Ebay and it works perfect for me. 

Tim

Tim

CO2 sounds interesting - quiet, clean, water free, no electricity supply required, practically unbreakable, smaller initial investment.

My concerns would be size - as the tanks are fairly big - being dependent upon somebody else for airbrush painting, and the commitment to keep spending money for however long you model & paint, taking the tank to get refilled each time. And my crap planning skills would see me running out of air just when I needed it most.

The safety would not bother me, despite the urban myths of CO2 bottles doing a decent photon torpedo impressions, whizzing around and through walls.

If I needed absolute silence and/or couldn't afford the upfront investment to buy a decent compressor, I'd certainly consider it. But as my Jun-Air is build like a battleship, is practically silent & lives in my shed, I'm OK with a compressor for now. 

Im somewhat in between for the cO2. From what i can see from looking atound the . montreal area the best way to got at this is to get a 20lbs tank and swap it out when its empty. Apparently refilling your own is more expensive.

How long does it last is my curiosity, like my compressor with a tank on it would cycle trought many time during one session. 

Im assuming the quantity is different? 

If i was to put the tank in the next room, can the regulator stay open all the time and just add a secondary pressure valve on my desk?