Kinetic 1/32 CF-18 Hornet Build

DrewH

This is blamed on Ron & Chuck - they badgered me to post these LOL - no laughing. 

Chuck's superb build a few years back (was it really that long ago?) is the inspiration to do this and my familiarity with the Hornet. Been wanting to do one of these for some time and finally got a kit late last year (I'm known to procrastinate). 

EF935-B47-2070-4-B71-BFEB-E7-E432-BC2-EC

Cockpit is coming along - many knobs, decals and switches from Anyz in the Avionix tub (was a bit of a bad casting on the one side, so I added a few too many - learned for next time). Airscale instrument & cockpit decals round out the IP.  

72-D5-BF41-A3-C0-4180-984-E-ED7-E5-D679-

Working on the GT seamless intakes - fairly straightforward. Used the 'latex dip' technique but wasn't deep enough. hit the mark on the outside keeping it level but the paint didn't come up the inside quite as far as it needed to be. I'm still debating if I'm going to redo them. 

9-E36-BA99-9-E07-42-C6-9689-7-AD16438-F0

Tail reinforcements were added as found on most all CF-18's. Tried the Flying Leatherneck vinyl ones, I used them as a template instead and made these and adding rivets with a beading tool. Detail on the tails are soft and needed lots of rework - which I suck at but am working on it. 

EF935-B47-2070-4-B71-BFEB-E7-E432-BC2-EC

Good example of the disappearing panel lines. It'll be a slow process to redo and clean these up. 

In the mean time, working on the 'Fat Pylon' ECM housing, modifying the SAC gear oleo and lots of the fitting and research that goes along with a build of this size. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Breaker said:

Drewe I've got the wolfpack set with the fat pylon, want any photos of that at all? 

Thanks Breaker - thanks for the offer, no need as I'm all done making one. will get pics up shortly. 

So after thinking about it for a half glass of Scotch, I redid the intakes. Overall much better after the second time. 

63078608615-C59-A3710-BF4-F-419-B-8380-F

Main fuselage is glued together with the intakes. This will take some time to clean up, fill, sand, rinse repeat at nauseam for a while till I get it acceptable. 

IMG-0396.jpg

Nose wheel bay is in the forward half so I can start getting the cockpit aligned. 

6-B595377-B014-4233-A994-947979-E3-A4-E7

The "fat Pylon" is done, this is likely the easiest part of this build. Only took 2 glasses of Scotch to get the courage to scratch build this. 

92-CA7-E4-C-7-E98-4-FCD-825-B-B351126220

4562-C3-B5-3-E13-4278-8198-2-F038-C5-E5-

and lastly just because I know this exists - had to put the "ashtray" on the IP coaming

7055-C68-F-BCBC-4-E5-C-92-F3-5837716-B72

It's actually an instrument mount which the pilot will install when needed. I think it's still :ph34r: one of those not to be mentioned items but I'm not sure. Anyway - back to toils of this beast. 

*Edit - sorry for the crapy iPhone pics I didn't rotate* 

Edited by DrewH