1/32 HK Models Lancaster B Mk.I Nose Art Kit RF128/ QB-V Victorious Virgin.

monthebiff

I was hoping to build the full WnW Lancaster but like many things this year it wasn't to be! So while still holding out hope it will appear at some point I was very happy to see the HK nose art kit appear and decided to purchase one and build Victorious Virgin as a tribute to 424 "Tiger" Squadron.

MDRUM-The-Lancaster-History-10.jpg

20201226-111104.jpg

and a few extras to add to the build

20201219-120746.jpg

20201226-110954.jpg

I've also ordered the Iconicair Bimb trolley with 4000lb cookie to add to the display base when finished.

Regards. Andy 

Edited by monthebiff

15 minutes ago, GDW said:

I will enjoy seeing this project progress. 

Glad you decided to do give us a close up look at the build. Are you going to use the clear fuselage half or build it with both sides in grey plastic? 

I'm planning on going for the grey plastic all the way, not a huge fan of the clear plastic/ cutaway style to be honest. However with the rear of the fuselage being completely open there will be plenty to see so I can have some fun enhancing the very nice base kit that we start with!

Regards. Andy 

A good start made after taking notes from Tom and Dennis's builds currently going on with the pilots seat and pedestal heights etc adjusted as necessary.

20201227-173630.jpg

20201227-173703.jpg

20201227-220951.jpg

Been a little lazy taking pictures so far but realised that chopping the pilots pedestal up and refitting could well cause problems bringing the fuselage halves together once the instrument panel/ pedestal is installed so to avoid any nasty surprises or the sound of an etched instrument panel pinging off I decided to fit the basic plastic part and get the alignment right with the cockpit floor between the fuselage halves and once dry I will prep the kit panel to take the Airscale assembly.

20201227-173756.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I can get all of the prep work for painting done on the radio sets and instrument panels.

Regards. Andy 

Welcome to the Lancaster build club Andy! I’m pretty excited to see your magic with this kit. I don’t blame you in finding a balance of fit and going over the top with authenticity. That instrument panel pedestal gave me fits (get it?) when I scratchbuilt it. That seat looks right on! Great build choice too.

Cheers,  Tom

20 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Welcome to the Lancaster build club Andy! I’m pretty excited to see your magic with this kit. I don’t blame you in finding a balance of fit and going over the top with authenticity. That instrument panel pedestal gave me fits (get it?) when I scratchbuilt it. That seat looks right on! Great build choice too.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks for looking in Tom, enjoying this build so far but a bit strange it's just the nose section only, but I wait in hope of the WnW kit somehow surfacing as when I saw it at Telford last year it looked amazing! Saying that I would imagine getting the fuselage halves together with their ridiculous fine tolerances would be a pain but who knows!

Thinking this will look pretty cool when finished and a change for me.

Regards. Andy 

10 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Love it! Looking forward to your build. Now, you just gotta stick it to the rest of the airframe!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Thank you Dennis, feels a bit strange building this one with no wings etc, should be fun and something different!

Regards. Andy 

Some more work done today, not making it easy for myself fitting the instrument panel/ pedestal at this point but carefully cleaned up and ready for the Airscale replacement parts.

20201228-132242.jpg

20201228-132415.jpg

Also added a few more parts to the pilots pedestal and boxed in the instrument panel pedestal.

20201228-203652.jpg

Not concerned about the upper rear panel as nothing can be seen.

Tried fitting the foot pedals but so far won't go so some adjustments needed.

Regards. Andy 

Looking real good so far Andy!

I admittedly cheated on my instrument panel assembly. I was trying, and failing miserably, to try and line up the instrument panel and the associated slanted column that attaches it to the cockpit floor/pilot's pedestal. I then realized that the fuselage halves have a slot for the instrument panel proper to assist with alignment. I simply separated the two! My instrument panel is attached to the fuselage halves, and not attached to the slanted column. As you stated, the rear of the instrument panel cannot be seen, and in reality, neither can the join between the column and the panel. I just simply got them close :-) Much better than continuing to beat myself up!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

15 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Good progress Andy! Those pedals gave me some difficulty as well. 

Cheers,  Tom

Not just me then Tom! Needed to cut them back at the top and shorten them and all good now.

Regards. Andy

11 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Andy 

Ooh this will be a great build to follow.

Another Lancaster. :yahoo:

Thats some neat work. 

:clap2:

Thank you Maru, cheating a lot and just doing the nose section kit but still a fun build!

Regards. Andy

11 hours ago, Wackyracer said:

Nice start Andy, will follow along for sure. Have the same kit and am as you, so interested as to how it all goes. 

Seat looks so much better, can I ask what you did to it?

Regards

Aaron

Thanks for looking in Aaron, all going well so far and pretty settled on the level of detail I want to add now!

Regarding the seat I cut 4.5mm from the front of the seat and 1.5mm from the bottom, I then made a new seat pan and shortened the seat pad to fit. Also made a new armoured headrest as the kit part comes up short as well. I then shortened the seat base to fit the the modified seat. A lille more work is needed to make the missing height adjuster but nearly there.

Regards. Andy