Do you gift built models to friends and family?

mpk

I enjoy building models. Once built I lose interest. This is convenient because my place is quite small. I was able to gift 4 armour builds recently. T-62 tank, half track. T-34 & a merkava. An 8 year old was drumming here today, Xmas eve. When finished I said, See that tank over there, do you want it?

His eyes lit up. "It's yours." Really? "Yeah mate. Grab it."

I get to see someone happy while casting off an unnecessary responsibility.

Win Win. :)

How about you?

I’ve donated 3 built Tamiya Vipers to family, I never get bored of building them if I have spare cash, but I don’t have enough space to display them all. 
I also donated an F-15 to my 3yo daughter because she kept pointing at it and shouting “air bo pwane”. How can any father refuse such a cute request? 

I plan to give my new nephew a space exploration related model when he is older. His middle name is given to him in tribute astronaut Alan Shepard

The Mercury Redstone “Friendship 7” rocket made by Horizon Models. 

Edited by Rick Griewski
Fixed name and added rocket

I've given a couple away off the shelf and built a 1/350 HMS Dreadnought with all the PE and wooden deck for a friend who who is a history buff, likes battleships but has no desire to build models. I enjoy seeing other people enjoy them.

I've sold a few on ebay but packaging is a problem with large ones. None of family have any interest apart from my father where I built some that were relevant to his life. Most were vehicles he worked on when he did his national service (he was in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers) but the one he enjoyed the most was a conversion of a 'Wallace and Gromit' Austin A35 van into the (quite rare) a35 estate car that he owned and drove for 30 years. 

14 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

I plan to give my new nephew a space exploration related model when he is older. His middle name is given to him in tribute astronaut Allen Shepherd.  

Not quite the same but I got my 16yr old son a lego model of the ISS for Christmas that he is very happy with. He is really into the Hubble telescope so also got a book with a lot of the stunning photos that have been taken.

I have a couple of friend that come around and drule on the display case and sometimes leave with some! 

I did build one special one for a friend. His type r acura. Had to hose 2 kits tons of customization, oem honda paint. Was fun