Fw-190 found buried with pilot. A channel I watch

mpk

I think it would be far more preferable that when they unearth people and parts of them that they stop and hand it over to authorities. They can be pretty cavalier about digging up corpses of fallen soldiers and I didn't like it much.

I can understand the fun and excitement of finding surplus or items left on a battlefield though.

Matty

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Fw-190 found buried with pilot. A channel I watch

A friend of mine who goes through Austria with a metal detector found a crate of canon ammo of Russian origin close to Semmering. So, he kept at it - only to discover another find not far away of a helmet of Russian origin with a skull inside. He immediately stopped, notified authorities and after a few days a Russian embassy member arrived and couldn't have cared less. The remains were shipped back to Russia without any of the care or attention that the Germans provided when he had found the remains of a German pilot from a FW-190 in Upper Austria earlier. There were only bones from feet still in the boots, teeth and the dog-tag, plus a few pieces from the engine. Records later revealed that in the late ‘40’s the aircraft wreckage had been collected and transported to Steyr for smelting. The other parts buried in the mud were left, unfortunately including the pilot. When he informed the authorities, the modern German Military arrived and combed through the site, collected the remains, and he was repatriated to Germany with the standard military honors. The next of kin was notified and he was interred at a German military grave in Southern Germany. The pilot name eludes me.  However, the difference between the German and Russian collection and repatriation was astonishing. The German handling was very similar to how attentive and caring the Americans were when he found a B-24 crash site in the same area. 

Interesting story from my friend. The fallen hero of the Red Army that had been stopped in Semmering was treated with such disregard.

Cheers

Alan

I'm not surprised that the Russian embassy official was unconcerned about the treatment of the human-remains. When you consider that Russian lost 20 Million citizens during World War 2, human life was considered the "cheapest commodity" during the conflict. I would guess that it's an attitude that still exists today. 

Chris.