SMS Seydlitz - Last Build of the Year

Greif8

This is a project I have been working on since early May this year; it is the Hobby Boss 1/350 scale SMS Seydlitz.  I backdated it to resemble how it looked shortly after it was commissioned in late May 1913.  To do so I had to scratchbuild the entire torpedo net system including the net itself, the shelf, the outriggers and the rigging.  I did not replicate everything as I did not see how to do so in 1/350 scale - the actual system had an incredibly complex network of cabling and rigging - and I opted to scratch about 50-60% of that.  The scene is set in July 1913 in Kiel Harbor, during what is known as "Kieler Woche", "Kiel Week"; an event that occurs to this day, 138 years after its initiation in 1882.  Having been recently commissioned the SMS Seydlitz was the centerpiece of the 1913 Kieler Woche which took place that year during the last couple of days in June through the first few days of July.  During Kaiser Wilhelm II's reign the event was very important as he loved all things naval and the 1913 gala was the perfect opportunity to show off Germany's newest battlecruiser.  I opted to show the ship in near pristine condition both because it had been very recently commissioned and because I am sure it would have presented a "spic and span" appearance given it's place in the regatta week.  

The Seydlitz would go on to have a very eventful wartime career during WWI.  She took part in several raids, survived a hit that burned out both rear turrets, killing 165 men during the Battle of Dogger Bank.  During the Battle of Jutland, or Skagerrak if you are German, the Seydlitz contributed to sinking the HMS Queen Mary and possibly the HMS Invincible, both British battlecruisers.  She suffered heavy damage herself being struck by 26 heavy caliber shells and a torpedo, barely making it home with some 5300 tons of seawater in her hull.  After the war she was interned at Scapa Flow with most of the rest of the High Sea Fleet, suffering a sad end by being scuttled by her own crew while interned in 1919.

The first set of photos shows some of the construction, this kit had a LOT of photo etch, and that - along with scratching the torpedo net system and developing a water scene is why it took so long to finish.  I can work with fiddly photo etch for about 1.5-2 hours before I have to stop.

IMG_2637

IMG_2642

IMG_2641

IMG_2643

IMG_2640

Both masts and all there associated parts belong to an AM set by Infini Models.

Next up is the completed build.  I used a piece of hard foam cut to size for the base.  I cut out a section for imbedding the hull and simulated the water using acrylic paint mixed to give a greenish-blue, or bluish-green, depending on your eyes, that is typical for Kiel Harbor water during the summer.  After the base color was set, I dry brushed sections of it to replicates different lighting effects by the sun.  I then coated it with three layers of acrylic gel, forming the gel into small wavelets.  After drying was then given two coats of future and topped off with two coats of Tamiya X22 to give it a nice sheen. 

Following are some overall shots.  As you can see, the finished diorama is a bit too big for my photo tent.

IMG_2752

IMG_2755

IMG_2759

IMG_2768

Following are some mid-distance shots.

IMG_2793

The wooden deck is also an Infini product.

IMG_2774

IMG_2772

IMG_2760

IMG_2764

IMG_2798

IMG_2791

And finally, some close ups.

IMG_2789

IMG_2785

IMG_2781

IMG_2780

Rigging this thing made rigging my Albatros DVa look like an exercise in relaxation!

IMG_2773

Part of the crew rehearsing the line up for the big photo shot that took place during the actual event.

IMG_2776

Dang, I spic of dust on the torpedo net! 

SMS Seydlitz Kiel 1913

The photo that inspired the diorama.  Probably taken during the mid-morning with the sun shining full on the port side.  

Hope everyone enjoyed the photo series!

Ernest

Very nice build! :goodjob:

Fascinating, how empty the decks are compared to WW2 battleships, Scharnhorst f. e., which were literally cluttered with every kinf of equipment. Always liked the story how Seydlitz went home driving backwards after the Battle of Jutland, with the stern ahead, because the bow now lay so deep in the water it was cutting under the waves when moving ahead...

Regards

- dutik

Ernest, my friend!  Beautifully done!  An inspiring build of an inspiring warship!   That's really a great job, and I appreciate the history you've given us. 

I have this kit, and will build it someday.  I started on Grosser Kurfurst a couple years ago, and my mojo got sapped when my torpedo nets failed to look the way I desired.  I will have to get it back underway soon.  I have to retrofit the kit with the earlier type mast at Skaggerak.

Merry Christmas!

Gaz

20 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Mighty impressive Ernest, how long is she?

Thank you very much sir!  The ship itself is a bit over 57cm long and the diorama is slightly over 78cm long.

Ernest