Displaying your Beautiful Planes

Gawah

9 hours ago, red Dog said:

Ivanmoe, having tried this before I am awestruck by your realizations, the models are perfectly blended into your wallpapers. The perspective is perfect and these artistic renderings are awesome !!

You can't say if they are models, reals, drawings or paintings. It's an art on its own.

Beautiful !

Thank you very much, as your comments are very generous.

If you'd like me to take a stab at one of your models sometime, let me know.

If the subject is a prop, two images are required.

Take a pic in the attitude that you want displayed in the finished product.

Then, without moving the model or camera, rotate the prop 30-90 degrees (depending on the number of blades) and take a second pic.

The more data the better, so set your camera/device to its highest quality.

I can take it from there,

-Moe

One more pic for the road...

Spitfire-IX-192.jpg

Great tips Ivanmoe

I have another technique for props

Put them into the wind and let nature do it :)

Here is one of the results:

spit_MkVIII_2.jpg

It was the real sky too.

I took that picture being a young adult, in the streets, close to a railroad bridge and I perfectly remember a cop car stopping next to me and one of the two cops coming to help me to hold the model so that picture was taken :)

Very nice pic of your Spit! I know a gentlemen from the UK who shoots his models against the sky, and then edits out the stand. BTW, he put's 'em way up high, on a 5m pole, and lets the wind turn the prop. Clearly, he's using a fairly serious lens on his camera. :o Lots of fun!

My whole approach to this imaging work is born out of a desire NOT to be constrained by backgrounds, real or printed/projected. As is, I can put the model whereever I want it. The only limitation is the content of the wallpaper employed. Very versatile in that regard.

Edited by ivanmoe

My home mades from wood from Home Depot. The first one I did was the cross which

was made from 4 plinth blocks with 45 degree points at one end. The rest required a

router for the edges. They all have inkjet printed images on glossy paper and attached

to the wood with a very thin layer of Elmer's white glue. 

88aLEU8.jpg

UrfPqvM.jpg

Svc7jYL.jpg

vXjHZ0O.jpg

Kinda fun, want to do a large scale someday.

On 12/23/2020 at 2:25 PM, ivanmoe said:

I hope that this isn't controversial, but I image the model on a stand, then use Adobe PS to edit out the background, add prop effects, and paste the output onto free desktop wallpaper. Here are some examples:

Albatros-D-III-3.jpg

Nieuport-17.jpg

Fokker-Dr1-Kempf.jpg

S-E-5a-2.jpg

Fokker-D-VII-2.jpg

I should add that I've gotten a lot better at this during the COVID-nonsense!

-Moe

Awesome. 

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

My home mades from wood from Home Depot. The first one I did was the cross which

was made from 4 plinth blocks with 45 degree points at one end. The rest required a

router for the edges. They all have inkjet printed images on glossy paper and attached

88aLEU8.jpg

UrfPqvM.jpg

Svc7jYL.jpg

vXjHZ0O.jpg

Excellent.

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

88aLEU8.jpg

UrfPqvM.jpg

Svc7jYL.jpg

vXjHZ0O.jpg

Those are great, Mike. What craftsmanship! Sixty years ago, most plastic, model-plane kits came with stands. Hopefully they'll make a comeback. Apart from aesthetic considerations, stands can cut the display footprint of a model all but in half. Yours are so eye-catching, though, that sort of utility is almost an afterthought. Well done and congratulations! B)

-Moe

Edited by ivanmoe

Thanks Moe, it's the old stands from Aurora ( round with part of the globe on them)

that gave me the idea originally, back in the '90s. I built them rather quickly as my

only goal was to sell them on ebay. Unemployed and broke I needed money to keep

the lights on. I sold all but the 262 to the same guy. Did keep the lights on for awhile :thumbsup:.

Could have done a better job on the models but speed and as little investment as

possible was on my mind.  Thanks again and Happy New Year :punk:

Some very nice work presented here, and great innovative ideas. I did a PBY for a vet when I was a teen and mounted it on an S shaped rod. Enough to balance easily yet not look stuck to the base. To my eye, a vertical rod has that effect. There needs to be a sense of motion.