American Airlines DC-4 (Minicraft 1:144) - Complete

Alex

Got the final bits done today.  Trying not to rush things, but also eager to get started finally on my P-51 for the Air Superiority theme GB.

When I went to install the LG, I discovered that some excess Micro Sol had pooled and damaged the paint under the nose (I really need to remember to be vigilant on that - the stuff is pernicious).  I decided to see if I could carefully overpaint it to fix it.  Just added one quick mask to make sure I did not get paint on the decals.

pmHooS5Cj

This worked fine and suggested to me that I should spend more time practicing working slowly, close up, with the airbrush.  It's not that hard.  And I think I often try to paint too fast from too far away.

pmkOk6BIj

After getting the gear doors in place, I decided to try and replicate the small antenna standoffs under the starboard side of the nose that are visible in the old photo from my Air and Space magazine (see page 1 of this thread).  I just used some 28-gauge copper wire painted with Mr Color Silver.

poQ3Br2ej

You can see them pretty well there.  I may go and try to CA glue a hair along the tips for the antenna wire. 

pmGLHV0ij   

pmVRO98Vj

podySjrYj

So that's all for this one.  I'm very pleased with the result - this is the best prop liner and maybe the best 1:144 model period that I've ever done.  Also glad that I took the time to try some experiments on a confidence-builder before tackling my planned NMF 1:32 Mustang.

• Alex changed the title to American Airlines DC-4 (Minicraft 1:144) - Complete
41 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Well done, Alex! Excellent result there.

Kev

35 minutes ago, Sakai said:

Fun ride Alex, I really enjoyed this and learned alot too. Thanx,

Bill

26 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yep, that's a real looker there! Well done

17 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Nice! I like this a lot. Good job, Alex.

Thanks guys!  Glad it was fun to follow along.  This project has definitely gotten my "Golden Age of Air Travel" juices flowing again, so look for some similar things in the coming year...

On 12/31/2020 at 9:40 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

If you're after a Constellation in 1/144 scale, the Revell kit is actually the better one.

Kev

Managed to run one of these down - a gent in Germany had it for sale on eBay.  Extra bonus, one of the two schemes included is Eisenhower's personal transport "Columbine", which I have always wanted to model.

pnmv2Csbj

And as a complement to it, I found a Minicraft kit of Truman's personal DC-6, the "Independence".  So I will build these as a pair, representative of a perhaps more stylish era, before every US President just rode around in a generic "Air Force One"...

pn1fJHn4j

26 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

You're on a roll, Alex!

Kev

Gotta resist cracking these open while I'm still in the midst of the Tamiya P-51.  I don't multitask well.  I also just got the recent Zvezda kit of the Ilyushin IL-62 with an Olympic Games transport livery.  Too many things I want to build!