American Airlines DC-4 (Minicraft 1:144) - Complete

Alex

4 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Looking good, Alex!

Kev

Thanks Kev!  This is looking to be turning out qualitatively better than most of the other little 1:144 props I've built (which were done 2 years ago when I was just barely getting into the hobby, so not surprising).  I'm excited to (patience, patience) see it completed.

Started with the black leading edges and anti-glare panel.  Probably spent three hours masking to enable three minutes of painting.  Maybe I'm overly paranoid of overspray (or don't trust my airbrush skills).  Masking these on prop liners is always a PITA because of the engine nacelles.  So much easier on modern commercial jets where the nacelles are on pylons under the wings...

pm9DWKFjj

And painted. 

poNh65aKj

I had a few tiny areas of paint peel on the sides below the cockpit, but that was easily fixed up with a quick spray of Alclad.

pmYYUD30j

3 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

This is really looking superb, Alex! I have this kit in the stash, and I'm now tempted to drag it out!

Kev

I will admit to having been on eBay eyeing a couple of other Minicraft props that I don't yet have.  A Connie in particular is a must-do someday...

28 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

If you're after a Constellation in 1/144 scale, the Revell kit is actually the better one.

Kev

Thanks for the tip - I’ll see if I can locate one.

on the topic of the Constellation, it amazes me that there is no good, modern kit of this plane in 1:72.  Given its iconic status, you would think that someone would do it - I’m sure it would sell well.  I’ve had the Heller kit on my shelf for almost two years. I occasionally pull it down, contemplate scraping off and rescribing all of those raised panel lines, and then put it back on the shelf.

Using scrap paper cutouts edged with tape is turning out to be a much faster and nicer way to mask off large areas.  Minimizes tape contact with already-painted surfaces...

pnlxz0Rnj

Wing flashes painted

pnBGiJkuj

Unfortunately the orange paint is not an *exact* match to the decals, and this is visible on the engine nacelles.  In retrospect, what I could have tried to do is make masks to paint the entire orange area on (not too hard) and then cut away just that teeny pinstripe from the decal sheet and apply it separately (probably very hard but maybe not impossible).  Next time.

poltHwWWj

Hopefully not too noticeable once it's part of the whole.  Decals later today.

Decals and engine nacelles completed.  It needs to sit overnight with a little bit more Micro Sol.  I should be able to install the gear and gear doors tomorrow.  Still thinking about whether I'm going to try to scratch-add a couple of very small antennas that the photos I have show under the nose.  But almost there.

pnxZuYklj

Note for future builders of this kit - fill and sand the engraved cabin door on the front starboard side - it does not align with the door outline in the decals.

Edit: AND I need to paint some rust onto those exhaust pipes.  Can't neglect to do that...

Edited by Alex