1/48 North American Yale RCAF

RadBaron

Whilst I :BANGHEAD2: with my big Hawk, its time for another trainer. 

This time around is one of these:

Before I begin, if anyone has any pictures showing the particulars of this polished version of the paint scheme, id love your input! There are plenty of pics of painted aircraft, but very few of natural metal ones!

I've had the want to building one of these kicking around in the back of my mind for quite a while, using the Belcher Bits conversion, so when one of the conversions appeared on Internet auction site, at the same time that a Monogram T6 appeared on a Facebook auction page, a plan was afoot! 

Curse you perfect storm!

Which brings us to here:

20201220_140206

Everyone knows Monograms's T6. Its been around forever. This one was a "builders special, everything off the sprues and some part missing. 

20201220_140230

Cunningly, the parts missing were ones I'd not be needing!

Belcher Bits' conversion looks nice and straight forward. 

The instructions are comprehensive and the kit comes with canop masks and decals for quite a few options. 

20201220_140256

At the same time, I also had some other bits and bobs kicking around

20201220_140317

The fun begins!

First steps, get the cockpit together. 

I want mine to have an early, pre-war silver interior, as opposed to interior green, so a cleanup and base coat with Mr Finishing Surfacer Black. 

20201220_140350

Let's see if we can get this one to the finish line in an orderly amount of time!

Denzil

Edited by RadBaron

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

Man it's been a really long time since I've seen any model molded in red.

It's from a different time, for sure.

Can you imagine the outrage if manufacturers pulled something like this on a current kit?

20201220_220253

To me, this kit is almost the pinnacle of fun model kits. Great detail and surface finish. Bang-on accuracy, simple construction and an interesting subject with a lifetimes worth of variations and paint schemes. It's almost a deserted island kit. 

Speaking of detail, after a cleanup, a coat of paint, some Airscale placard decals and etched seatbelts, cockpit is just about ready for close up.

20201220_220228

This 40 year old kit still puts many modern kits to shame!

A happy afternoon's progress. 

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Man it's been a really long time since I've seen any model molded in red.

The Revell 1/32 Red Arrows Hawk is moulded in red.

4 hours ago, RadBaron said:

Can you imagine the outrage if manufacturers pulled something like this on a current kit?

20201220_220253

To me, this kit is almost the pinnacle of fun model kits. Great detail and surface finish. Bang-on accuracy, simple construction and an interesting subject with a lifetimes worth of variations and paint schemes. It's almost a deserted island kit. 

Speaking of detail, after a cleanup, a coat of paint, some Airscale placard decals and etched seatbelts, cockpit is just about ready for close up.

20201220_220228

The Revell Stearman in 1/48 has a copyright moulded under the tailplane iirc. Tricky to fix.

But these old Monogram kits do scrub up well, and I like the unusual choice of subject. Look forward to seeing more.

Edited by MikeC
autocorrect autocorrected incorrectly !!

4 hours ago, RadBaron said:

20201220_220253

20201220_220228

First off there aint no WAY anybody would get by with that these days with the stabilizer and I was gonna ask if that interior was OOB. You'd think that Revell would've followed suit with the Dauntless interior. 

5 hours ago, MikeC said:

The Revell 1/32 Red Arrows Hawk is moulded in red.

I had forgotten about that one!

4 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

You'd think that Revell would've followed suit with the Dauntless interior. 

1/32 or 1/48? The large scale kit is the matchbox one released around the same tine as this. The 1/48 has its roots in the monogram kit which is 20 years older than this one! At least that one had operable flaps and landinggear :D

Model kit archeology is great fun!

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Please cover up the rest of that red plastic as soon as is practical... :D

She'll be getting a silver and yellow finish so there will be a lovely black brimer coat before she gets colourfull again :D

As for colourful:

A quick piece together for motivation. 

20201221_073747

All the colours :D

The canopy came painted, ill see if I can polish it clean, otherwise a spare one will be donated from another kit. 

There is some slight surgery needed to fit the new nose and centre section. 

A quick chop with a saw..

20201220_222439

On 12/22/2020 at 8:05 AM, mustang1989 said:

Great progress so far.

Thanks mate!

On 12/21/2020 at 1:11 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Neat! Love this kind of modeling

As do I! Its great having a go at something a bit unusual, I'd like to seek out more uncommon types!

The nose has been removed and the resin replacement sofar has been quite a good fit.

20201223_202149

20201223_202225

A test fit of the wing centre section reveals the kit wingroot fairing will need some shaving.

20201223_201816

20201223_202018

Holes have been drilled for some thick wire pins, to give some strength to the outer wing panels and centre section.

Pics i have of the lower fuselage don't show the recognition lights. So they'll be covered up.

20201223_202125

A quick progress test fit!

20201223_204940

Back to the bench!