Tamiya (not a speculation thread)

D.B. Andrus

9 hours ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

I hadn’t noticed the price of the Tamiya Tomcat, YIKES! From what being said around the traps, the Phantoms going to run to a similar price, and as I have no more organs to spare, I think I’ll have to give this one a miss. 

$100 for the Tamiya Tomcat, actually seems quite reasonable to me.

4 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Guess this could be the start of a series of Phantoms..if your an R/C enthusiast, i would think you would be happy. I kinda get the idea where static kits are on the Tamiya pecking order...would be interesting to see what the marking options are for the F-4, something other than VF-84?

Don

Heretic!

2 hours ago, petrov27 said:

looks nice and a possible future purchase for me but sure feels out of left field for sure.

I'm not sure, perhaps the Tomcat has set a precedent of sorts for them. Not that anyone can really predict what they'll do (as others have tried to foresee with their crystal ball, Ouija board, tea leaves, charts and graphs, and failed miserably, which was to be expected), but an eventual new 1:48 Super Hornet might just make my day.

23 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

$100 for the Tamiya Tomcat, actually seems quite reasonable to me.

Well, it’s $170 here, and I’m not saying that it’s unreasonable, just that I can’t justify that price for a 1/48th scale model when I have closets full of unopened kits:D

4 minutes ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

Its £75 on Hannants, so that $100 usd

And I can live with that. Since the Tomcat is around $100, I assumed the new Rhino would be similarly priced, and probably worth every dime too.

The Tamiya RC cars are fun to build.  Back in the mid 80's we used to build them at the hobby shop. Our shop was in the mall so we would drive them around to pick up interest in the store. We'd sell them built then pull out another and build it.  Kept us busy when it was slow too.  A win win.

20 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

And I can live with that. Since the Tomcat is around $100, I assumed the new Rhino would be similarly priced, and probably worth every dime too.

If I was into Tomcats or Phantoms, the price wouldn’t be an issue, from what I’ve heard the Tomcat is over and above what I’d expect, and I’m sure the F4 will be as good, if not better!