Tamiya (not a speculation thread)

D.B. Andrus

7 minutes ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

Don, that depends on what type of R/C enthusiast you are. 

I’m mainly into big R/C aircraft, but I like off road r/c racing cars (1/8th scale buggies) so Tamiya doesn’t ignite my r/c fire.

Yep, having been heavily into 10th scale off-road racing and 12th scale indoor for many many years,  I agree while Tamiya is the king of the hill for static models IMHO, as far as R/C goes (especially the 1/10th off-road market) they have always produced cars more suited for beginners and intermediate levels rather than serious off-road racers that were competitive. 

As the the Phantom release, I would have say that seems like a LOT of money for a model in that scale.  My father built and flew mainly quarter scale R/C (1/4th scale) planes and Tamiya has never really been in the R/C plane game to speak of.

I’m looking forward to seeing a few builds of the Phantom, I dare say it’s going to be a Phantastic (sorry) kit, and with the fans of the plane and the knowledge that they have, there’s going to be some brilliant builds.

I’m not a Phantom fan, I know, it’s sacrilege, I just don’t find them attractive (don’t get me started on the P-51B, it’s the red headed stepchild of the Mustang family), and the price seems to be a bit high for me, but for those who love it, it’ll be a bargain.

28 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yep, having been heavily into 10th scale off-road racing and 12th scale indoor for many many years,  I agree while Tamiya is the king of the hill for static models IMHO, as far as R/C goes (especially the 1/10th off-road market) they have always produced cars more suited for beginners and intermediate levels rather than serious off-road racers that were competitive. 

As the the Phantom release, I would have say that seems like a LOT of money for a model in that scale.  My father built and flew mainly quarter scale R/C (1/4th scale) planes and Tamiya has never really been in the R/C plane game to speak of.

I won’t dilute this thread with R/C stuff, I’ll start another, and if it’s inappropriate mods, feel free to delete it.

20 minutes ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

I won’t dilute this thread with R/C stuff, I’ll start another, and if it’s inappropriate mods, feel free to delete it.

No, not at all, just a bit of thread divergence..............it happens here. :lol: We do try to generally keep things on track, but Im as guilty as any of derailing things occasionally. 

SQUIRREL!! 

The Tamiya announcement of a 1/48 f-4 would be much more exciting but for the recent releases from ZM.  However, I will be more inclined to go for the Tamiya kit as I know it won:t include all the unneeded internal engine detail and some of those bits that I don:t care about.  I personally am not unhappy to see this.  The 240Z is a nice addition also, and really long over due, they did it 1/12 but for some reason not in 1/24.  Also even Hasegawa who and others who have done the 240z only did it as a curbside.  So a modern kit here will be well received.  I suspect it will be a huge seller for them in home market also.  

The Panzer IV to me is a Meh, as there are other good options out there already, however this one will mainly offer the advantage of buying typical Tamiya, easy pleasurable build.  I have the Dragon IVF long barrel that I build and it was indeed a lot of parts.  Tamiya probably uses half the parts to do the same kit.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

I agree, it will probably be the nicest F-4 in that scale, but that still seems and awful lot of money for a non-LSP kit to me. 

I generally don:t pay retail for Tamiya kits personally.  I look for sale or a deal.  I purchased a package deal today to get the 1/12 Ferrari 641/2.  It had a bunch of extras with it and I essentially got a free kit.  If I sold the extras I could get more than what I paid for the whole thing.  I kind of want it to build, it has been one I have been looking for and the “perfect parts” set that came with it are hard to come by as the guy that made them died 10 or 15 years ago.  

My current build is a Spitfire IX that started out life in my collection as a bundle deal for a Spitfire VIII with a bunch of AM, however I really did not want the VIII, so I sold it kept the AM and bought a MK IX that someone had started at a big discount.  They had only built some of the motor.  So all told between the two deals, I have a free or nearly so MK IX.    

3 hours ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

I’m mainly into big R/C aircraft, but I like off road r/c racing cars (1/8th scale buggies) so Tamiya doesn’t ignite my r/c fire.

I used to race 1/5 cars and buggies  and still have a couple. 2 stroke gas engines, those were fun. I even drove one down the front straight of the Molson Indy here in Toronto. Snuck in at night. :lol:

Tamiya dabbled in 1/8th for a bit. They had their US arm produce a couple buggies and a truggy. I picked up a couple of the TRF 801XT truggy kits and just finished one last year with a brushless conversion kit. 

PXL_20200926_171932422-600x450.jpg

This thing is crazy fast. It does wheelies from a rolling start. 

Here's a couple more Tamiya RC cars I built this year. This one came with portal axles. 

IMG_20200822_165255-600x450.jpg

IMG_20200628_105629-600x450.jpg

They may be simple but that means kids can build them. My two sons have out a couple together each and they're only 7 and 9. Helps them to learn about mechanics, using tools and a sense of accomplishment. 

Their TRF cars are pure racing machines and have the price to reflect that. 

I think either RC or Mini4WD is Tamiya's bread and butter. Scale models are third in terms of profitability. 

Sorry for the distrac... squirrel!!!