Revell, where are you?

Mark P

I think it will be later based on the corona virus and the new strain that’s affecting England now.  I worry that Revell is  notmaking much money at all at the present time based on this.  Just hope they can weather the storm.

Edited by oyoy5

Along similar lines (hobbies) I recently ordered a high dollar part for my project car.  After not hearing anything back after a few weeks passed, I gave them a call.   Speaking with the owner he was telling me that he thought when the pandemic started he was going to have to shut his doors down for good and find a job when he could.  He said it was the exact opposite.  He’s never been busier.  Come to find out guys are shut in and working on their project cars and his orders shot up.   My order just happened to be coincidence.  I’ve been putting this off for 6 years and finally decided to get it done.  

BTW, part arrived a week later.  

I'd been wanting a Ju-88 for a long time, never could find one. Finally stumbled onto one in the local shop (good price too) after they got hold of someone's stash. The He-111, same deal. I spent some time looking for the Me-262, couldn't find one on line for a decent price what with shipping and customs. I just found one a couple nights ago at a local hobby shop, and grabbed it. I'll pick it up on Wednesday.

In Germany the Ju88 A1 and A4 can sometimes be found on Ebay for a decent price; or you might get lucky in an auction.  The He111's are not very common and fetch fairly high prices when they do come up for sale or auction.  Both types of bombers are pretty much gone from German model shops though.  The 109's, 190 and 262 are still easy to find here.

Ernest

I suppose most if not all manufactureres try to do it as cost effective as possible. That means running a good solid production of a kit and then shutting it down until it is deemed economic to do another run. Checking the tooling, setting up and actually casting is quite expensive too... you dont want setup cost for doing 10 kits

We did see this even before covid - Hase 1/32 F model comes to mind - and I'd guess that all companies have become more carefull these days..

On 12/20/2020 at 6:17 AM, BloorwestSiR said:

My LHS has both Revell FW kits in stock. 

https://www.wheelswingsestore.com/?target=search&mode=search&substring=Revell 1%2F32 fw&including=all

I haven't seen their Ju-88 in quite some time. 

The Dragon 110 is available in a Revell box currently and their 109 is also available in a HGW package. 

Carl

I have both.

I thought they did runs of kits. Are they supposed to be available all year?

I can only assume that once Revell had produced a certain number of kits, they then assumed they had "fulfilled" the potential market for them. I would say that there is a small chance that another company might pay to use the moulds, but I wouldn't want to put any money on the table to that effect. 

Merry Christmas, folks. Let's hope that 2021 is a MUCH better year!

Chris.