Wingnut Wings 1/32 Albatros D.V: Jasta 5 - Ltn Wolf

Whitey

My first WIP on here for while. I often go too far into a kit before taking photos but I'll try to keep this one up to date as we go.

I have a Kitty Hawk Kingfisher nearly at the finish line, so I use this to keep me going whilst waiting for final details to dry. The Kingfisher should be in RFI later this month.

ww32015reviewbg_1-M.jpg

A good friend of mine is from Bavaria, my F104G is in Bavarian colours so I thought I would do the same with this little beauty.

IMG_4062%20(2)-X3.jpg

I am fairly comfortable using acrylics and clear yellow or orange for wood grain interior effect and this one is no different. Undercoat with Dark Yellow, streak with some Browns and then overcoat, with a brush, clear orange in place for darker wood and clear yellow for the lighter woods.

Adding the details is fairly straight forward modelling.

DSCN2743-X2.jpg

HGW seat belts and I used some micro tape on the seat bulkhead to simulate linen. I'll add some better photos of that next time.

The engine is straight forward but I added spark plugs from Taurus, plug leads using EZY line and painted yellow for new leads and made some valve springs from fuse wire. I decided not to add the red line and engine number. Apparently it wore off pretty quickly or came off with all the oil that was spread. The carby and inlet manifolds are kit parts with the manifold covered with thin tamiya masking tape and stained with some flat clear with some light brown added.

DSCN2741-X3.jpg

I am using the Pheon Decals sheet, Master LMGs, Gaspatch and Bob's Buckles turnbuckles, Gaspatch Airspeed Indicator and Ezy line for the rigging. Still waiting on a Proper Plane prop and metal exhaust - when the mail sorts itself out, whether I use them or not is not determined. See what they look like.

DSCN2734-X2.jpg

It's interesting the WnW paint scheme, as shown in the Jasta 5 Trio that I also have, is different to the Pheon scheme. The Nauve and Green are reversed and Pheon has gold striping on the fuselage as opposed to WnW with yellow. 

I have undercoated the wings with Tamiya White Primer and added left over rib tapes from my Roland C.II built years ago. Hopefully I can manage the painting with a bit of the darker rib tapes showing through in place, especially the undersides.

DSCN2739-X3.jpg

More fun underway with the wings painted and tail painted.

DSCN2744-X2.jpg

A variety of different brands used. Supercheap grey primer, SMS Green on the tail, Valejo Mauve and Mr Hobby Green on the wings, with Tamiya Red around the tail surfaces and the nose. Undersides of the wings are Mr Hobby RLM65.

Masking of the tail was done by drawing around the surfaces onto OraMask, using a 2 mm marker pen to draw around the outline and then cut with scissors to the inside of the markers line. Took me a while but it looks pretty damn good.

Dark yellow under Aviatic light wood grain on the wing root. I think it is too dark so may strip that off and use yellow underneath. Leave that decision until tomorrow.

Engine and wings are just sitting in place for the photo.

Next up in the morning will be a coat of gloss on the fuselage and when its dry I'll start the decalling. 

I hope everyone has a great Christmas.

Edited by Whitey

Well a good week or so modelling of the Bavarian Albatros has come to an end.

It's ready for the Bavarian blue and white checkers but I have painted the bloody thing grey and its too bloody hard to mask it to paint the white fuselage bits.

But all is not lost, I can turn it into one of the other Jasta 5 aircraft with a grey fuselage and get another out of the box to do the Bavarian one again.

It means that I will have to break up my Jasta 5 Green Tail Trilogy. Bugger. I was always going to build two Albatros but I guess now I will have to build 3 - Wolf's Bavarian, Josef Mai's as flown by TVAL in Masterton and the one I guess this current model is going to be - maybe the Pheonix as it closely depicts the model in its present greyness and wing camouflage pattern, and the name is probably appropriate for this stuff up. 

Lets see what emerges in the coming days.

• 4 weeks later...

The wolf is back on the bench.

Jeroen kindly sent me his spare WnW decals and they arrived yesterday and put to work last night and this morning. Thanks very much Jeroen.

They work really well with Mr Mark Softer, especially around the nose where some vents and access panels are located. I cut the clear film surrounding the W off to reduce the chance of any silvery later. 

Just waiting for the leather to dry around the cockpit and then put the rest of the checkers on followed by the Wolf insignias, this afternoon.

DSCN2776-X4.jpg

Standby for a further update later today.