Brexit & Shipping to the EU

vince14

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

Well if you take a look at the screengrab of my Eduard Order I posted Kev you'll see how thats going. Oh so so so well. But in my defence the stash has been cut right down to 9 kits. 2 of which are on the block for disposal in the for sale forums. 

I just checked and didn't see anything from you in the trader board.

In trying to keep it non-political, I found a good article about this as it relates to US businesses: https://esellercafe.com/how-a-new-vat-rule-from-brexit-now-impacts-every-us-seller-shipping-to-uk-customers/

My current plan for UK purchases:

Under £135: a Zactomodels eBay store. eBay charges customer the VAT during purchase and eBay does the dirty work of paying VAT to HMRC.

Over £135: The customer pays VAT upon receipt in the UK. A minimum purchase over £135 will be required on my website (once I get the coding worked out). Or customers can email me a list and I'll send a PayPal invoice.

I am considering charging slightly higher prices on the eBay store to cover eBays high fees.

You UK guys that want to make small orders might want to consider coordinating with one another and placing a larger order together to save a few bucks.

:beer:

• 2 weeks later...

So my ~ 150 Euro order from AK-Interactive has gathered a 39 quid customs charge along with it.

Being delivered by DHL, who had a bit of a flap about it coming with a DANGEROUS GOODS IN EXCEPTED QUANTITIES UN 1263 warning, (for a 30ml bottle of enamel paint, I might add), when they called me this morning to confirm what was in it...

Guess I won't be ordering direct all that much anymore :( That's quite a sting.

5 minutes ago, Subodai said:

So my ~ 150 Euro order from AK-Interactive has gathered a 39 quid customs charge along with it.

Being delivered by DHL, who had a bit of a flap about it coming with a DANGEROUS GOODS IN EXCEPTED QUANTITIES UN 1263 warning, (for a 30ml bottle of enamel paint, I might add), when they called me this morning to confirm what was in it...

Guess I won't be ordering direct all that much anymore :( That's quite a sting.

I take it you were also charged for the privilege of them paying the Tax in advance for you like Royal Mail/Parcelforce?

Just now, ade rowlands said:

I take it you were also charged for the privilege of them paying the Tax in advance for you like Royal Mail/Parcelforce?

Yep, looks like 11 quid of it was 'for the privilege'.

Royal Mail's 8 quid hostage fee is starting to look almost like a bargain.... almost...

Trust me, £11 is inconsequential compared to the hassle of trying to get the VAT, import duty, customs charges etc. sorted out yourself. Unless you like having to spend hours on the phone to HMRC - because the department that deals with the VAT doesn't also deal with import duty etc....and then, when you've sorted it all out with HMRC, you then have to get through to ParcelForce/DHL/whoever to explain that the charges have been paid. They then have to go off and check with HMRC and, by the time it's sorted, you have to hope that another part of the shipping company hasn't already returned the parcel to the sender because it's been sitting in the depot for too long.

I too was once indignant about the ParcelForce admin charge. Having tried to do it myself once, I now think it's an absolute bargain.

Edited by vince14

On 1/21/2021 at 1:06 AM, Zactoman said:

In trying to keep it non-political, I found a good article about this as it relates to US businesses: https://esellercafe.com/how-a-new-vat-rule-from-brexit-now-impacts-every-us-seller-shipping-to-uk-customers/

My current plan for UK purchases:

Under £135: a Zactomodels eBay store. eBay charges customer the VAT during purchase and eBay does the dirty work of paying VAT to HMRC.

Over £135: The customer pays VAT upon receipt in the UK. A minimum purchase over £135 will be required on my website (once I get the coding worked out). Or customers can email me a list and I'll send a PayPal invoice.

I am considering charging slightly higher prices on the eBay store to cover eBays high fees.

You UK guys that want to make small orders might want to consider coordinating with one another and placing a larger order together to save a few bucks.

:beer:

Not getting political I hope, but for accuracy, the VAT thing is nothing to do with Brexit  it would have happened regardless.  Watch out for the EU implementing similar rules about July (on current plans).

The EU didn't implement theirs due to Covid so it's late, I expect that those that blocked UK customers will have to do the same to the EU ones. If it becomes illegal to sell to the EU without being VAT registered in Europe I will have to pull the plug aswell. My guess is in a few years it will all crash and burn and go back to being a normal trading bloc.

Graham 

It's going to drive business to the bigger companies like thierry says. it's just not worth the extra hassle, or cost to go anywhere else :( It's very sad for the hobby because I cannot imagine it's doing anything good for our smaller independent retailers :(