32nd Spitfire Vb

Phartycr0c

Hi Folks, I'm after a little advice.

I recently got hold of a set of the extremely nice Exito Sexy Spitfire decals 

The sheet contains three complete sets of markings for three aircraft namely a MK Viii an MK iXe and a Mk Vb

Hopefully father Christmas will be supplying two suitable kits in the form of the Tamiya iXc and Viii BUT the Vb is proving elusive.

Not being a Spitfire expert 1:1, Kit or aftermarket Is the Hobbyboss spit the only game in town?

The actual Vb to be modelled has clipped wings. are there any replacement bits I can use to depict this? I know the Tamiya kit has clipped wing options. 

Are there replacement bits for the god awful fabric / metal tailplane in the HB kit? 

Would back converting a Tamiya MK 9 be a useful exercise, i.e exhaust stubs prop etc? If so what would be needed?  

Any pointers towards an accurateish Vb Spit with clipped wings would be helpful. 

I haven't seen the older Hasegawa kit but Pete's comments are not the first time I've heard that it's got the best shape. 

You would need an entirely new cowling, spinner, prop blades, exhaust, oil cooler under one wing, and to backdate the C wing to a B wing... which is a TON of work but it is doable.  Recommend you go with the new tool Revell mk.IIa if you're looking to go the route of converting a more modern kit and you'll have an easier time. There's a resin set or two that gives you the wing blisters to make a Vb, and the mk.V larger oil cooler is what Revell incorrectly gives you in the mk.II box. 

If you go the hobby boss route, there's an HPH correction set which includes the tailplanes, and there's also a standalone Quickboost set that corrects the tailplanes. 

For clipped wingtips - the mk.IX gives you both standard and clipped tips as options so if you're building a mk.IX with standard tips,  you're golden. 

Hope this helps!

The Hobby Boss Spit is not too bad. Definitely not Tamiya. I think with all the aftermarket it can be build into a reasonable model. The one thing not mentioned here is the awful canopy and only the early windshield. If going the HB route try and get a Tamiya canopy sprue.  I have build mine with a Hasegawa canopy. If you need a photo to asses the shape , just shout.

Nick

I have both the Hobbyboss and many Hasegawa Mk Vb kits, and I too believe that the Hasegawa has a better shape.  For me, the Hobbyboss wing leading edge just doesn't look right when compared to all of the other spitfire kits, and that spoils it for me.  But the Hasegawa kits are very old and do require a lot of work (but fun work in my opinion).

Not much for me really to add to all of the above, but if you have the Hasegawa Mk.IX kit (or the Revell re-boxing of it), then it has both full tips and clipped tips in the kit (then again, it is very easy to simply attach some plastic strip to the wing tips and shape it if you get really desperate!).

Derek

12 hours ago, mpk said:

Where did you order the canopy? I have this build going and haven't even looked at the canopy. It was going to come as a rude shock.

Thanks.

Ordered mine from here

http://shop.hphmodels.cz/en/accessories/27-opravna-sada-pro-spitfire-mk-v-hobby-boss-v-meritku-132.html

Cheers

Dennis