Boeing F4B-4

SimonCornes

I've just picked up one of these kits and was wondering what improvements might be available out there? I see Vector did a very nice engine and cowl and Lone Star did a cockpit but is it possible to still get either of these bits? Are their any alternatives? I'm afraid that 'tween wars' USN aeroplanes are not my area of expertise so I thought I'd ask here!! 

Thank you

Edited by SimonCornes

32 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

I’ve built a couple of these.  Doesn’t need much since the airplane was pretty basic.  A better motor would be nice, the tailhook could be better and maybe a less clunky aftermarket cowl if one exists.

That’s pretty much what you get with the Vector resin - engine including cowl but not cheap!!

The ultimate F4B-4 effort was taken in this thread:

The build cuts away almost everything with full interior detail. Probably further than you want to go, but very instructive.

Tnarg

I recently found that VF-6B tested their F4B-4s with a portion of the ring cowling removed. You can see it on four of the aircraft in this video. F4B-4 operations start at around 2:48. Meant to give the pilot better visibility and also to allow the sight to be adjusted through its entire range.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/76753