D558 Skystreak Jetmads

X15

Here is a small study of the D558 Skystreak and its different configurations. Jetmads decided to offer the D558 N ° 3 37972 with the canopy that opens from the rear. The first version of the D558 Skystreak having a bubble canopy that will only be used for 12 flights. The high-speed canopy opening initially from the front will be modified to open from the rear following the crash of N ° 2. Jetmads offers this canopy opening from the rear with 4 color scheme including an orange version. It is possible that the canopy of N ° 3 was modified to open from the rear while it was still orange in color but there are no photos of this version… I only found 3 photos of the canopy open from the back and all with a white D558 Skystreak, N ° 1 or N ° 3. Wanting to make an orange Skystreak, iconic color of speed racing with Chuck Yeager's Bell X1 and the first versions of the D558 Skystreak, I will modify the canopy for an opening from the front and to make the 1948 D558 Skystreak N ° 1 . This orange color will finally be abandoned in favor of white, finally much more visible in the blue sky of the Mojave desert !!

d558_d11.jpg

d558_d10.jpg

captur13.png

d558-110.jpg

captur12.png

captur10.png

captur11.png

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely work for sure!   The fit overall of the kit appears to be very nice.

How would you say the fit of the kit is overall?    This would be one aspect of the Jet-Mads kits Id be very interested in. 

The fiting of the small 3D parts are ok, i begin to close the fuselage and the biggest resin parts need more work to fit correctly. I will need putty and sand it to have nice connection between this parts. But it's always the same with resin kits.

X15

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Here is the continuation of the D558 Skystreak with the assembly of the fuselage and the wings.It took quite a bit of sanding and putty but it's pretty usual with a resin kit.This resin works well and is pleasant to work with.Can't wait to start painting !!

14986210.jpg

15017710.jpg

15022610.jpg

14988110.jpg

15019910.jpg

15022310.jpg

wow, that has come together really well - you are clearly very talented!

your detail painting is supercool and what an interesting aircraft

how does the surface detail hold up, will it need rivetting/scribing after the prep work?

Peter

23 hours ago, airscale said:

wow, that has come together really well - you are clearly very talented!

your detail painting is supercool and what an interesting aircraft

how does the surface detail hold up, will it need rivetting/scribing after the prep work?

Peter

Peter, thanks for your comments, yes i needed to reviting ans rescribing because after prep work i sand a lot the fuselage and wings. Reviting is easy but scribing is a little more difficult in resin, more fragile than plastic so you need to do it carefully...

X15