PCM Focke Wulf FW 190 A-1/A-2/A-3

Gazzas

On 1/31/2021 at 8:06 PM, mpk said:

Gazza, have you tried Vallejo plastic putty? It's the only one I use. It took me 20 seconds earlier to fill a gap I noticed while airbrushing, quickly put putty in, excess wiped off instantly, spray it right away.

I saw some bloke building a vixen and he did that, putty in, wipe away excess, continue. 

Your build is looking good mate.

Thanks Dale.  I haven't tried Vallejo Putty.  I'll keep it on my list.

Edited by Gazzas

Taking a break from scribing and rescribing...  to work on some other surfaces.

The control surfaces have a clunky 1970's feel.

ochWqJ.jpg

From what I can see from real FW 190 photos, the surfaces should be flat with fine rib tape detail.  So bye-bye wavy blobs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my Friends!

I've spent a lot of time trying to work on the surfaces of the main model.  So much time that I had to start a Tamiya Sturmgeschutze to clear my mind of all of the sand, scribe, refil, rescribe...  trying to get them damn little lines right.  But anyway...  I've got it to an acceptable point and covered with a coat of MRP fine gray Primer.

Lt0kEp.jpg

This is some of my best rescribing ever....   but it's still not factory.

oE8TLu.jpg

But I don't have the patience for perfection when perfection eludes me for too long.  I have never been able to get the main seam between the fillet and wing right...  so, I'll move on.

B8JeQ4.jpg

And, I still need to add a tail light...

E3wOP4.jpg

Today I finally masked the canopy parts and added a part to the windscreen.

DV7Ybr.jpg

I also began detailing of the wonderfully modifiable Synthetic Ordinance Works LG legs.  The ABS plastic cuts and drills nicely, allowing me to attempt something I've never dared before:  To attach the LG covers to the LG legs by means of copper wires simulating the real bolts instead of a plastic to glue interface.

la8cdA.jpg

I still have to fabricate some brake lines. 

And there is a ton of other stuff to do.

Cheers!

Gaz

19 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

That all looks very precise and neat to me . I like the idea with the landing gear legs , I would not have anywhere near enough patience to try that . 

Thank you!  Truth be told, one of the more annoying points of aircraft models is hanging those landing gear covers on.  They always seem keen to drop off, no matter how careful I am.

22 hours ago, dennismcc said:

That looks great, I am not a big fan of just "blobbing" on glue to attach things  as they do always fall off as you have said. I prefer positive attachment points, but I also don't think that I would have the skill or patience to copy you.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you.  I glued them together the other day and left them to sit.  I'll show photos soon.

6 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Beside the wing root fit, how was the fit of the rest of the kit? Can't remember any other A1/2/3 in 1/32 kit, might be interested in one.

Don

Hi Don,

As with all PCM kits, a lot of trimming is required to get the IP to fit.  Aside from the wing root, the only other troublesome area is the lower-wing-to-belly seam which took a bit of filler.  But nothing insurmountable.  I would have benefited from more dry-fitting.

The only another annoyance...  huge annoyance, perhaps is the in landing gear covers.  On the A-0 and A1, they stayed open when the LG were down.  However, on the A2 or A3, they closed once the LG were extended.   On the kit, they're molded closed with no interior detail.  I'm weighing the consequences of cutting them off this late in the build and scratchbuilding new ones with no detail photos found as of yet.

Thank you, Dutik!

So.... 

With Tender care, using the back edge of a knife, and my one very fine razor saw blade I was able to detach the kit gear covers without stuffing them up.  Yesterday I devoted some time to trying to find period photos.  I found a couple as well as some pics from a restored bird. 

Both sets were different which causes me to believe that either different versions were made of these covers, or that the ones on the restored bird are wrong.

Anyway...  you can see my results.  I milled them using my Dremel and the round holes, a pin vise and drill bit.  They are glossy because I gave them a coat of Tamiya extra thin to smooth out the places I can't.  The black stuff is black CA where I accidentally went through with the Dremel.

IMG_0221.thumb.JPG.b9a76e91eb28561538aa5

IMG_0222.thumb.JPG.19ce2a7659f8803e4074b

IMG_0223.thumb.JPG.677905435c27442aa608b

The lg cover actuators...  are poorly mimicked by clunky plastic parts.   I'll have to fix those next as well as the edges of the landing gear wells.

Edited by Gazzas