PCM Focke Wulf FW 190 A-1/A-2/A-3

Gazzas

Hello campaigners!

A couple days ago I applied the first coat of RLM 65.  Today it was the turn of the RLM 02 and RLM 71.  I know...yer sayin':  "WTF!  should be 75/75/76".  Well....  the early ones came out just as the colors were changing.  And supposedly they were painted at the unit level.  So this leaves a window to use a different scheme than the other two 190's in my stash will receive.  Nobody knows fer sure. 

IMG_0231.thumb.JPG.db4af3f1559f5abc92a71

The RLM 65 and 71 are MRP undiluted so far.  I prefer post-shading. so things will look different, later.  The RLM 02 is a mixture of ever-changing shades of that color, mixed from other Tamiya paints.  Here, I'm trying to use the 02 that appears a tad brown.

There is a lot to do.  I'll allow the color to dry for a day or so...  and then I can apply the rib tapes on the control surfaces.  Heh...  I have tons of WNW rib tapes.

IMG_0232.thumb.JPG.97fedd37512694eea2a1a

Happy Modelling!

8 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Color scheme is a surprise!! Are you going to paint the fuselage spine/upper surfaces as well? Any mottling on the sides?

Don

Yes, I'll be doing the fuselage spine as well as some mottling.  There's some crazy stuff happening on the fuselage in period photos for me to try to illustrate.

As mentioned before, I was going to add the rib tape detail to the cloth covered surfaces.  Despite my best attempts, all of my strips are slightly different lengths.  Most of them are meant to be 6mm.  Not too bothered, anyway as my main desire was to keep them parallel.  I doubt the small distances will show up once painted.

P1013268.thumb.JPG.993be1cc3e99d06e97548

P1013269.JPG.425218c87f794f2d99532af7f0d

I tried to do them as little groups of 2-4 decals.  Enough where I could align them while all were still wet, without having to have too many to do at once.

P1013267.thumb.JPG.df4c550af7a3be79430a5

I stared with one decal on each surface.  Then I would move to another control to give the previous decal time to settle.

P1013265.thumb.JPG.5ac4f5053cf9e01d3c15b

The rib tapes are from my WNW Albatros trilogy.  I have heaps of them, consequently.

P1013266.thumb.JPG.c70fa18ab2c4ad0417f7f

Now I will seal them, then give them a coat of paint.

Happy modelling!

Thank you Michael!

For days now, I've been concerned that Sternberg's mount wasn't painted in the factory scheme.   So, I made an analysis from the three best photos I have.  The Analysis shows three letters for color differences I have noticed.  L for light, M for medium, and D for dark...  coinciding with the shades of gray I can detect from the photos I have. 

I put the analysis from a scan of a paint guide I found online.  There are three question marks on the stbd wing because most of the photos are taken from port and I'm not sure what I'm seeing.  But I am convinced that a third color is used.  Detail on the tail plane is pretty hard to figure as it only shows in two of the photos, and there is a sheen there preventing greater study.

sternbergCAMO.thumb.jpg.d9ea0ddf734b93c4

It's rare to get so many pics of one warbird.  But I think I have been letting my brain lie to my eyes for a while.  I'll post the ones I'm using below.

922811833_FW190-A1-1.thumb.jpg.2277fa752

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A1-5.JG26-Black-13-Hors

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A1-5.JG26-Black-13-Hors

886461528_FW190-A1-JG26-(B13-)-WrkN100-F

So, now I'm left with the task of repainting the wings, and adding a third color.  RLM 70?  RLM 74?  Who knows.  The fun of dealing with black and white photos when they conflict with factory schemes.