PCM Focke Wulf FW 190 A-1/A-2/A-3

Gazzas

Thank you, Herr Baron! 

I have to make a change here.  I've decided to replace the LG with aftermarket sets.  I've order these from S.O.W.:

NzfvYq.png

I've also ordered some Quickboost Tailwheels.

quickboost-qb32185-fw-190f-8-tail-wheel-

One of my pet peeves in 1/32 scale is when the tailwheel and strut are molded as one piece.

53 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

Yes Gary it is shaping up very nicely :thumbsup:, whereas my 190 for this build is distinctly hiding in the hanger this week .:unsure:

I'm not getting much done on mine, either.  Waiting for the LG and some black CA to use to fill in panel lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Eek!  I've drifted to the second page.  Need to get some work done.

Between real life and a second model, it's hard to get anything done.  And I'm still waiting on some AM from the US of A.

So...  I've done most of the cockpit.  Still gotta do the seat belts.  Instead of stripping the fuselage of too much plastic like I had to with my last PCM cockpit, this time I dry fitted the tub and shaved everything so it fit easily.  That included the Eduard IP.  I think I shaved off nearly a millimeter on each end. 

DzfqO5.jpg

I also thinned the sides of the seat to make it look thinner as well as a bit of sponge chipping.

piGHWR.jpg

I also used sponge chipping on the fan blade which will hide virtually all of my sloppily rendered engine.

Meanwhile I've slowly been moving towards closing up the fuselage:

Cockpit:

yKissL.jpg

U4WEzA.jpg

vp38Jp.jpg

The new tail landing gear by quickboost...  minorly broken...

zOfFck.jpg

And the new S.O.W. Landing gear struts mated to the attachment point of the kit LG... 

KECVkR.jpg

Eventually I'll add some brake lines to the gear.

I'm at the ugly stage.  Cleaning up the seams.

For you readers, the pictures will be relatively useless...  unless you see all of the black areas where seam cleanup is required.

8pvaVc.jpg

The seams in the wing roots were 1.5 to 2mm wide.

eu7GOo.jpg

And I haven't even started the wings yet.  Using CA as a filler, and an electric toothbrush with 320-grit speeds up the process....

ZMsr6S.jpg

Here's one where the flaw can actually be seen in the photo.  The faults remaining on the fuselage will have to be filled with very thin CA.

Happy modelling!

Gazza, have you tried Vallejo plastic putty? It's the only one I use. It took me 20 seconds earlier to fill a gap I noticed while airbrushing, quickly put putty in, excess wiped off instantly, spray it right away.

I saw some bloke building a vixen and he did that, putty in, wipe away excess, continue. 

Your build is looking good mate.

On 1/29/2021 at 8:19 PM, Gazzas said:

... an electric toothbrush with 320-grit speeds up the process....

nGBNjRa.jpg  

;)

Cracking stuff fella , glad to see this one get close to completion . :goodjob:

Interesting to me is that on this PCM  model you reckon the wing fit was not so good, the Revell wing fit for me was pretty filler free ....but .....on the Revel with the full engine, the nose panels w're a nightmare, whereas on this one, with only the half engine they look to have gone together much cleaner . Be really nice if one day someone made a 190 where everything fits prefectly :rofl:

Probably teaching you to suck eggs here ( apologies) , but my filler of choice is the water based perfect plastic putty , fill it , wipe with damp finger/ q Tip and mostly done , although on large gaps sometimes shrinkage means you need to do it twice. it sands - wet or dry as well as it's not that tough . 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Panzerwomble
pix

18 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Cracking stuff fella , glad to see this one get close to completion . :goodjob:

Interesting to me is that on this PCM  model you reckon the wing fit was not so good, the Revell wing fit for me was pretty filler free ....but .....on the Revel with the full engine, the nose panels w're a nightmare, whereas on this one, with only the half engine they look to have gone together much cleaner . Be really nice if one day someone made a 190 where everything fits prefectly :rofl:

Probably teaching you to suck eggs here ( apologies) , but my filler of choice is the water based perfect plastic putty , fill it , wipe with damp finger/ q Tip and mostly done , although on large gaps sometimes shrinkage means you need to do it twice. it sands - wet or dry as well as it's not that tough . 

s-l1600.jpg

I really try to avoid real water-based stuff on aircraft models.  Later, I will be wet sanding a lot of places, so using that stuff would spell disaster.   Also...  CA is scribe-able and holds stuff together.  But thank you for the thought.  PPP has it's uses...  but not on this build.