More 3D Print tests: can you tell what it is yet?

Iain

On 12/13/2020 at 7:58 AM, Iain said:

Needed something a little smaller than the 737/P-8A to test some more printer settings and found this - suitably re-scaled and chopped up.

48b427_008701c9110d4ba2bff156eca0b77816~

48b427_551f94ac53b248fa936c4ecb7d5e1182~

48b427_e6082acc01be448181d3ac62a5c2e3ae~

48b427_9deb2ef08ba140649452b78b4049002b~

Any guesses?

Whether it goes any further I don't know - just having fun learning...

Iain

Noticed this one while looking for printing projects....

xPoNEAD.png

I have the Vulcan files here - the dimensions don't scale out correctly (for any variant) in terms of the proportions of the length to wingspan unfortunately, which isn't uncommon with planes designed for R/C. But even with that said, it's a darn nice looking design and would look amazing to see flying as the EDF it was designed to be. My fingers are crossed the designer will put some new parts together to represent the actual air intakes instead of one large central motor.

There's a C-130 model scaled to 1/32 as well which is darn tempting but I haven't sat down and looked closely at that one yet. Would be a good looking model in this scale!

2 hours ago, seiran01 said:

I have the Vulcan files here - the dimensions don't scale out correctly (for any variant) in terms of the proportions of the length to wingspan unfortunately, which isn't uncommon with planes designed for R/C. But even with that said, it's a darn nice looking design and would look amazing to see flying as the EDF it was designed to be. My fingers are crossed the designer will put some new parts together to represent the actual air intakes instead of one large central motor.

There's a C-130 model scaled to 1/32 as well which is darn tempting but I haven't sat down and looked closely at that one yet. Would be a good looking model in this scale!

Oh man....sure would!

That's a really well printed model Iain, I love the hollow structure etc...How nice would a Devon look????

It's fun, isn't it? :) Many of these models are a great base for scratchbuilding - actually much better than most vacu kits. I have a C-130J almost ready for printing since quite some time, but space is a very limiting factor in my case... I've seen the Piaggio while browsing as well and I really like its looks - but it was sadly never operated by the US Navy or Marines, so sadly not for me. But I reckon it would looks absolutely brilliant once it's fully finished... 

I've spent hours, and hours, looking at available .stl files - there are a few that look good - but most aviation related models are, at best, approximations.

I downloaded the Piaggio (and the 737) because they both looked pretty good to my eyes - and this has been borne out once I had the files to play with.

They'll both need some reshaping work but, yes, both *really* good bases for 'fine scale' models IMHO - and a far better start than any large vac,or resin, kit IMHO.

The prints are light and very strong - and material cost relatively cheap. HIPS filament is the perfect substrate for modelling purposes IMHO.

The downside is the time it takes to print - and a few failures on the way!

As those that have played already will know, there's a limit on what you can do to edit .stl files - but you can do certain things with them to help.

Another resource is all the 3D CAD models for Fusion 360/Rhino et al - they can be edited with the relevant CAD Package - and I've seen some stunning ones - but these are, generally, far more expensive than .stl files.

The future is learning the design software from scratch - that's what I'm working on doing now - with Rhino, and a little help from Tim Perry.  :)

I'm going to park the Piaggio for now - it's served its purpose test-print wise and I want to get back to printing parts of P-8A Poseidon.

Exciting times!

Iain