Skyraider mystery plane

quang

On 8/28/2021 at 6:54 PM, Dave 0 said:

The plane in the background of the first photo has no tail wheel or left main and only the top half of the right main!

Agreed, I know nothing about VNAF aircraft, but I agree this is a doctored photo, I just don:t understand why someone would take the time or bother making fake images of VNAF aircraft.  Must be right up there with people that would painstakingly build miniatures of real aircraft and spend hundred of hours in a small room attaching parts so small they can:t see them without a magnifying glass.  Oops making fun of myself there.

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

I just don:t understand why someone would take the time or bother making fake images of VNAF aircraft.

Exactly my feeling. Apparently some guys did swap their X-acto blades and Flex-i-files with a pirated copy of Photoshop.:lol:

11 hours ago, quang said:

Exactly my feeling. Apparently some guys did swap their X-acto blades and Flex-i-files with a pirated copy of Photoshop.:lol:

Well if it came from who I think it came from, which for now is an assumption, he's a former VNAF C-130 pilot who still holds / held a passion for the VNAF. I suppose he makes them for nostalgic reasons, maybe comparable to some people who make profiles of what-if aircraft liveries. I just always felt he should make clear if a photo was shopped. I can't remember that he ever claimed they were real, but I also don't remember him denounce one of his creations as fabricated. A nice shot of a VNAF O-2A comes to mind.. too bad that wasn't real, at least, to my eyes. This one I am not so sure on as all of his photos (real and otherwise) usually have a small watermark.

We had contact a long time ago, really nice guy.

@Grunticus Thank you for your input.

Sometimes I feel that the reverence for authenticity so important to us, modellers is only shared by a tiny portion of the public.

I remember in this instance the A-1H Skyraider exhibited in a museum in Ho -chi-minh city and re-painted in fantasy, glossy camouflage. Furthermore, the propeller was mounted inverted :BANGHEAD2:. But then that oddity helped me notice a detail on the blades that I wouldn’t have if the the prop was mounted correctly :P.

Cheers,

Quang

On 8/28/2021 at 6:54 PM, Dave 0 said:

The plane in the background of the first photo has no tail wheel or left main and only the top half of the right main!

Hi Dave,

I'm interpreting what we're seeing as a slightly domed hardstand - helpful for the runoff during those torrential rains.  The background aircraft is simply on the other side of the "hill."

Cheers,

Dana