Fokker DR 1 - 1/24 Merit/I❤Kit

artoor_k

Another problem - real size of turnbuckles. There is no sense in buing a whole set of turnbuckles to one WWI fighter because I don't think I'll build another :)

So I've made one test turnbuckle. Please, tell me if it's size is correct. I don't know where to check it. Whole turnbuckle has 13 mm in lenght. I have no idea if it's acceptable in 1/24.

ojsPp7I.jpg

A long time ago I snuck up close to the Albatros D.V in the Australian War Memorial museum.  A curator squawked at me after I had taken a couple of pics.  I didn't have a tape measure, but it seems that the turnbuckle was no longer than my hand, and not much thicker than the wire itself.  Dividing by 24, I reckon your turnbuckle shouldn't be longer than 8mm.

Even in real life, the turnbuckles don't jump out at you.  They're not supposed to add too much drag.

It's really no wonder that WNW directions tell you not to worry about them.

On 4/24/2021 at 1:38 AM, Gazzas said:

A long time ago I snuck up close to the Albatros D.V in the Australian War Memorial museum.  A curator squawked at me after I had taken a couple of pics.  I didn't have a tape measure, but it seems that the turnbuckle was no longer than my hand, and not much thicker than the wire itself.  Dividing by 24, I reckon your turnbuckle shouldn't be longer than 8mm.

Even in real life, the turnbuckles don't jump out at you.  They're not supposed to add too much drag.

It's really no wonder that WNW directions tell you not to worry about them.

Many, many, many thanks :) Finally I have real size of that thing. 

20 hours ago, RLWP said:

ojsPp7I.jpg

Your rib tape effect is very nicely done, unfortunately that part wasn't made that way. The fairing was in two parts, split vertically along the axle centreline, and I'm pretty sure was a ply covered box

Richard

Hmmm, now I really don't know what to do with it...

https://mbiqmodels.com/gallery/aircraft/fokker-dr-1-hasegawa-18/#jp-carousel-2724

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gen9G

Here are visible ribs on photo from WWI:

Detail%20undercarriage%20Fokker%20D.VII%

If you're right then...well...Hoooray, it'll save me a lot of time repainting it :D

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Looks great!   But yes, IIRC I think Richard is correct in the landing gear fairing was plywood and made in an upper and lower half sections

Not upper and lower, fore and aft

Richard

14 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Just for your reference, Artoor...   I found some decent close up turnbuckle images and a drawing here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/landoni/sets/72157604984202028/?fbclid=IwAR3SfHl5Nr4VeL46tY_NMcvZ54LD9XAbjMqeHuHFXJZFcDfSre5NxwX20Yw

Thanks for link :) This is smallest turnbuckle that I could build:

078j2Kh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...