Fokker DR 1 - 1/24 Merit/I❤Kit

artoor_k

OK, I don't know if this will help. This is what I used:

DSCF1620.JPG

The spray paint dries with a gloss finish. The green acrylic was put on quickly with a big brush and pulled about until it streaks

DSCF1621.JPG

I haven't shared this aeroplane before. I'm not saying it is 'right', I'm satisfied with it

Richard

This is how I would tackle this:

using a wooden toothpick apply a dotted line of the desired oil colour (green, brown, grey) along the upper edge (vertical panels) or leading edge (aerofoils).  Make sure the dots have some height to them, but not too thick or wide.

Using a flat brush with stiff hairs, not sure if you need to cut the hairs short: as long as they feel very stiff you should be fine.

Vary the way your brush is angled per stroke: always try to keep the brush perpendicular to the surface, but sometimes have the wull width perpendicular to stroke direction, sometimes the narrower edge along the stroke direction, sometimes on an angle to the stroke direction - key is to create random variation.

Also use a light touch with it (almost like you are practising the stroke a hair just above the surface without touching, a bit like a think painting rather than do painting kinda thing) - the idea is that only the very tips of some hairs drag the paint around.

And frequently wipe the brush clean on paper towels - every 2 to 3 strokes, otherwise all you do is spread the oil paint along a wider surface area.  Avoid using any thinner or cleaner unless you plan to stop working for the day - the dryer the hairs are, the longer they remain stiff.

Hope this helps

Edited by Landrotten Highlander

I think you have the right idea here, I like your test piece, but I would use a slightly stiffer and thicker bristled paint brush rather than one you've cut down. A cheapie one from teh dollar store would do the trick. Work the oil paint until you are happy with the streaking and remember, the real thing was probably painted with a mop or a broom, so perfection is probably not required.

7 minutes ago, BradG said:

remember, the real thing was probably painted with a mop or a broom, so perfection is probably not required.

I had a chance to think about this while treating a wooden fence. I think it was done with a big paint brush, at least 6" wide.

If you use a brush to quickly paint a vertical surface, you usually end up with vertical stripes (like the sides of the DR.I)

If you are right handed, and quickly paint a horizontal surface, you usually end up with diagonal stripes running top right to bottom left (like the wings and fuselage top). If you are left handed, they go the other way

I have no evidence to support this, other than time spent sloshing paint around

Richard

I did the Revell version of Voss’ triplane with the full green streaking on it. Check out my Dreidecker via the link in the sig. 

Heres A few shots for reference. Drop me a line with any questions or items I’m not clear on describing

I bought a basic set of oils at Hobby Lobby. I set up an artists pallet and mixed green black yellow white...and in the end decided green with a little bit of black was the color choice. About 20% black is what i used. I 
Blue turpenoid and a brush from AK that is already staggered across the edge.

I wet the brush and dried it off kind of like dry brushing. Added about 10% to the oil paints and dabbed the brush into it. I stippled the leading edge with the wet brush about 1” to 1-1/2” wide. Then dragged the brush across the wing at an angle, just barely touching the surface so the streaks would be created by the edge of the brush. 

The more oil paint i put on the brush the darker it was. I looked at picks to try and get an idea of the dark and light sections of the real thing but in general it is unique as only this style of painting can be. Too many strokes and the color starts to cover the whole thing. I erased a few tries due to this happening. The dark spot in front of the tail was my fault. I overdid the overspray technique and ended up redoing that section. Well practice makes perfect, and I’m still working on it

I did the sides with straight down vertical strokes. This proved harder than the wings. I think because of 2 things - there was less realestate to work with given the short sides of the fuselage, and the amount of streaking was way less so not much opportunity to blend a darker and lighter streak together like on the wings. I had trouble getting the right amount of paint at the start of the stroke. This is the best side.

All these surfaces have a gloss coat of Tamiya from the spray can, and a mist coat of Tamiya Racing White over them. I wanted to tone down the greens and give some semblance of the fabric and linen that were i assume bleached. Your the first to see it in detail so feel free to let me know what you think. As i said above it’s a bit inconsistent, the wings being better then the fuselage and tail i think. Would welcome more thoughts on it.
Below you can see the effect the racing white has. Tail is raw oil paint and all else is mist coated in Racing White.
Ohh and the ailerons I’m told were painted at a 45 and the wing 30 degrees. The 1 pic i found seemed to reinforce that so i went with it. Visually I don’t like it though so if i do something like it in the future i may take artistic license with it.

Hope this is helpful, or maybe sparks an idea on how do do it better/different. 
Chris

Edited by themongoose
Added the pics

50 minutes ago, themongoose said:

I did the Revell version of Voss’ triplane with the full green streaking on it. Check out my Dreidecker via the link in the sig. 

Heres A few shots for reference. Drop me a line with any questions or items I’m not clear on describing

I bought a basic set of oils at Hobby Lobby. I set up an artists pallet and mixed green black yellow white...and in the end decided green with a little bit of black was the color choice. About 20% black is what i used. I 
Blue turpenoid and a brush from AK that is already staggered across the edge.

I wet the brush and dried it off kind of like dry brushing. Added about 10% to the oil paints and dabbed the brush into it. I stippled the leading edge with the wet brush about 1” to 1-1/2” wide. Then dragged the brush across the wing at an angle, just barely touching the surface so the streaks would be created by the edge of the brush. 

The more oil paint i put on the brush the darker it was. I looked at picks to try and get an idea of the dark and light sections of the real thing but in general it is unique as only this style of painting can be. Too many strokes and the color starts to cover the whole thing. I erased a few tries due to this happening. The dark spot in front of the tail was my fault. I overdid the overspray technique and ended up redoing that section. Well practice makes perfect, and I’m still working on it

I did the sides with straight down vertical strokes. This proved harder than the wings. I think because of 2 things - there was less realestate to work with given the short sides of the fuselage, and the amount of streaking was way less so not much opportunity to blend a darker and lighter streak together like on the wings. I had trouble getting the right amount of paint at the start of the stroke. This is the best side.

All these surfaces have a gloss coat of Tamiya from the spray can, and a mist coat of Tamiya Racing White over them. I wanted to tone down the greens and give some semblance of the fabric and linen that were i assume bleached. Your the first to see it in detail so feel free to let me know what you think. As i said above it’s a bit inconsistent, the wings being better then the fuselage and tail i think. Would welcome more thoughts on it.
Below you can see the effect the racing white has. Tail is raw oil paint and all else is mist coated in Racing White.
Ohh and the ailerons I’m told were painted at a 45 and the wing 30 degrees. The 1 pic i found seemed to reinforce that so i went with it. Visually I don’t like it though so if i do something like it in the future i may take artistic license with it.

Hope this is helpful, or maybe sparks an idea on how do do it better/different. 
Chris

Looks Superb Chris!...brilliant result...

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by JT68

Because wings are almost flat , then I couldn't make a wash. I had to cheat with painting - make 3d out of 2D. So first RLM78, then 2h of masking and quick run with RLM78 mixed with a drop of XF-52. I liked what I saw after removing of masking :)

I bought Gaspatch Spandau MG's - they're beautiful!

XKj6gGV.jpg

84tY44C.jpg

Of course I had to make life harder by not mask enough and now I have to paint bottom side of upper wing again...I have to blame my laziness. I leave upper wing for tommorow. 

With watercolor pencils I've painted propeller. Now I'll overspray it with clear orange and I hope it do the trick.

PzIuoZK.jpg