ME-262

phantom

8 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I've been told the Trumpeter has been designed for all the hatches to be built in the open position. In other words, when you try to glue the hatches down, the kit will fight you all the way. Perhaps folks who have built the Trumpy version can confirm or deny this for us...

Chris.  

I built it quite a few years ago and this sounds familiar. I think mostly it pertains to the gun bays but it is not that bad. I enjoyed the kit a lot. I have the Revell which I intend to build soon.

Both kits build up to very nice models.  I built the Trumpeter single-seater last year.

JTK-3237.jpg

13 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I've been told the Trumpeter has been designed for all the hatches to be built in the open position. In other words, when you try to glue the hatches down, the kit will fight you all the way. Perhaps folks who have built the Trumpy version can confirm or deny this for us...

Chris.  

It did take some work to get the nose panels to fit on this build including the use of shims...

IMG-2877.jpg

I am currently building the Revell version of the two-seater. Unfortunately, the nose panel fit is not perfect on the Revell either but perhaps a little better than the Trumpeter.  Based on my experience (factoring in that I am not quite halfway through the Revell build), I would recommend the Revell kit over the Trumpeter.  The riveting on Trumpeter kits is heavy-handed and the cockpit assembly has four large attachment tabs that are clearly visible from the wheel well.  No rivets and the Revell cockpit is very well done using their included decals for the instrument and side panels. Nicely molded plastic tires too versus the vinyl tires in the Trumpeter kit.

I am currently building the Revell single seater. I closed the gun bays & engines. It did take some work to get a good fit on both if you close up.

Great kit though. The details are well done, shape appears to have no issues. Besides the closed panel fit issues, it builds up very well.

I am  not going to  rivet mine, but I  did go over the panel lines with my scriber, as they are a little 'soft'.

Also, my windshield has some serious distortion, similar to their P-51 canopy issues. Luckily I have a two seater in the stash, windshield sprue is the same. It was fine & I'm using it.

Contacted Revell.de & they will send a replacement. 

I  have some  in progress photos on 1/32 scale aircraft on Facebook.

I also have the Trumpeter in the stash & believe they both have their pluses,  but can't comment on how it build up yet.

6 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The Trumpeter kit is covered with beautiful engraved rivets all over every square mm of the surface.  None of which are visible even from five feet away from a real Me262.  Revell's is much more accurate in that respect.

I don't think this is necessarily true.  There are wartime photos and film of 262's that show that rivets were visible.

262.jpg

Scan10002.JPG

Scan10003.JPG

Scan10004.JPG

262005f.jpg

Unrestored 262 where you can see evidence of putty and visible rivets.

IMG_0848.jpg

Great images John!

Both kits are actually pretty stellar (I have built the Trumpeter kit and have the Revell version).  I agree on the discrepancies in respect of the gun bay doors (having just done a dry fit of the Revell kit's. Otherwise no complaints from here. 

In terms of the rivets: There is much that was puttied over in terms of panel lines as shown in your first image.  This is shown in higher resolution of Classic Publications Me 262 Vol 1 Page 202 where the horizontal rivet lines do appear quite distinct from a distance of what looks like 8-10 feet.

Best regards,

Paul

On 12/12/2020 at 10:01 AM, phantom said:

It appears that the Revell kit is unavailable at this time, I was thinking of doing a P-51B any advice on the P-51B?

Mike

The only decent P-51B out there is the long oop Jerry Rutman resin kit.

Both ZM and HKM have said they are going to release a new tool one in the future, so I would wait for those. If you are really Jonesing for a 262 and the Revell kit is not available, I would go ahead and build a Trumpy one. It really is one of their better kits in spite of their niggles. Ir hit aBay for a Revell kit.