ICM Gloster Gladiator Mk.II

Dennis7423

All-

Here's my entry for the group build. Hoping a fairly simple build can get me across the finish line, in the midst of other projects at the house (like building a deck!).

The Gloster Gladiator might not be the first machine that comes to mind when you think of "Air Superiority", but it held its own when asked to do so, and did valiantly, at the hands of great pilots, until more capable aircraft came into theatre. It was the last biplane fighter for the RAF... which put into service many beautiful biplanes through the years. A tad more brutish that some of its predecessors, it still maintains a certain elegance to it. I've always liked the old Gladdie!

130472914_197997515143043_7288343403750335081_n

I am going to stick a few aftermarket items into her, to include Eduard photo etch, a Yahu instrument panel, and Quickboost exhaust and carb intake. I've started snipping a few parts to check fit, but nothing has been constructed yet. I have Tuesday set aside to build all day, so here's to hoping that actually comes to fruition!

Thanks for checking in.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

It's a lovely kit Dennis, enjoy!  The AM boys have really jumped on the success of the ICM kit haven't they?  AIMS cockpit addition is beautiful, I didn't use one on my Gladiator (built it before John had produced the cockpit AM) but I'll be using it on the Silver Wings Gauntlet when it's available.

Edited by mozart

• 2 weeks later...

Progress!

I was able to get the cockpit completed and the fuselage sealed up yesterday. I used the Eduard set, and a Yahu instrument panel.

132501392_300827888020285_8319510673601216756_n

132354563_3549977615109936_375923956498592209_n

132190963_423649382153826_9082156592231838766_n

At the time I retrieved aftermarket for the kit, Eduard hadn't released anything that covered the instrument panel layout of the Mk.II; only the Mk.I. Yahu to the rescue! They sure do make some nice stuff. Everything nestled in nicely, and the rest of the kit should go fairly quickly! Man, these ICM kits sure are a treat.

Comments and critiques are always welcome!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

All-

Moving right along! If you haven't considered picking up one of these kits, do it! It's a fun build. Nothing fancy, no frills, but neat, and goes together extremely well! Hoping to finish seam work in the next week or so, and then I might start laying down some paint. Stay tuned!

133880530_2622920594668166_8541863999994991051_n

As always, comments and critiques are most welcome.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Can I ask is this the boxing with the 247 Sdn aircraft markings - PO Francis ? I tried (and binned) doing this one twice in 1;48 with the Roden kit , which just didn't work for me. 

Being from Plymouth the old RAF Harrowbeer airfield  at Roborough holds a firm attraction, esp as my father (93) can remember seeing them defend Plymouth at the start of the war . Not trying to influence you , but I'm watching this with a firm hope it proves to be a straightforward kit as I'll like to have another crack at this particular aircraft . 

17 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Can I ask is this the boxing with the 247 Sdn aircraft markings - PO Francis ?

I'm not at home so I can't check the kit marking options, but I can definitely vouch for the quality and ease of the kit! If you want to have another crack at a Gladdy, this is most definitely, without hesitation, the kit to go at. Buy it with confidence, and build it to represent your familial connection to such a harrowing time.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA