CAD Model of the Packard V-1650-7 Merlin Engine

rtwpsom2

• 4 weeks later...

I've been working on the oil pan on and off for a couple weeks now but I don't have enough to post yet, but I thought I'd take advantage of my down time to upgrade my 3D printer.  And of course, what is the first thing I have to print?  Take a guess:

Image removed

It's currently an hour and a half into an estimates 44 hour print.  Wish me luck. Say a prayer to the kami of 3D printers.

Edited by rtwpsom2

• 2 months later...

Just a brief update: You might know about this thread where I asked about interest in some aftermarket Merlin engine kits for larger scale models.  I wanted to find a way to garner some financial support for the project so I decided on doing those 3D printed kits and got some good feedback. I also started a patreon page where you can actually support the project and get something in return.  Right now it's just an engine kit in the scale of your choice once it is complete, it won't be an entire engine bay, though those will come later.  You can always wait and use your credits then, too.  

Anyway, on to the update.  Thanks to Tom Kay up in Canada I was able to get a scan of his lower crankcase which helped me model the shape in the forward area of the oil pan, which wasn't as well defined in the blueprints as I would have liked.  I imported his scan and here I am showing it in place in the engine assembly:

T18S5lU.jpg

qaJOsiN.jpg

This is not a CAD model, it is an imported STL file created from the 3D point cloud data.  In other words it's just for looks.  I know how to define almost all of the geometry of the oil pan, except for the slope at the front.  It isn't really well defined, and TBH a little conflicting in the blueprint.  Thanks to the scan though I was able to power through and came up with a pretty good representation:

bunhCKF.jpg

U85s9th.jpg

I still need to create all the bosses and cutouts for the forward bolt holes but I think this was the hardest part of the the oil pan and the rest is just going to be filling out the rest of the details. The area at the back is complicated but I don't think it's going to be difficult.  

EDIT: I thought I'd add a couple quick links to the galleries of the 3D printed parts I made on my Photon Mono X.  I'm a bit giddy with how well these came out.

1/24th scale crankcase

1/8th scale crankcase

Edited by rtwpsom2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Progress update for St Paddy's Day, 2024.  I have finished the cylinder cast and the machined parts for it.  I have also finished the head castings.

yTASIEP.jpg

q9C2Sm6.jpeg

ryRa6jI.jpeg

Vmq5VkY.jpeg

hugFCws.jpeg

NSLXdHo.jpeg

cxzjhEl.jpeg

As always, I am posting these to Grabcad, however because I am only going to upload the major assemblies of the BOM, the only thing I am posting right now are the castings.  The completed machined assembly should be done in a few weeks.