F-4J VMFA-115 "Silver Eagle" - 1/32 Tamiya - FINISHED

Cicciuzzo

Good morning. I am a new member of this community. My name is Francesco (Cicciuzzo for friends ;)) and I write from Italy (Siracusa - Sicily) and I am a jet enthusiast. I want to start with my wip from the 1/32 tamiya F-4J kit. You already know the box with its strengths and weaknesses. I will try to do a good job but in the meantime I present to you the subject I would like to create and the work done so far.

Let's start from the subject I would like to represent:

1 895x640

These are the accessories. You see that the resin air intakes are missing because I'm going to modify those of the kit as I saw another model maker do:

0 1024x575

The first intervention concerns the modification of the air intakes (I used a method made by a web modeler):

1st step
Semiconductors glued and grouted

2 962x640

2nd step
In the second modification, the intent is to glue the first part of the duct to the internal air intake. First I "recorded" the right joints from the outside and then a small cast of cyanoacrylate to attach the first two pieces

3 646x405

3rd step
After gluing the first part of the duct to the air intake, now you have to cut the other upper part of the duct which is all one piece with the fuselage and glue it perfectly inside the air intake.
Cutting the upper part of the duct

4 400x640

Overall view of the three pieces

5 720x640

4th step
Upper part of the duct glued inside the air intake

6 1024x553

5th step
Plasticard and putty for the entire internal part of the air intake

7 1024x576

8 499x640

9 1024x595

Completed. In your opinion, I have saved 40 euros to buy the resin vents? :rolleyes:

10 486x596

final effect

lN5lDX2EfMXuQtOS3BEgxgsFciJkoPi5HXTMC92y

this picture shows what the vents are like without modification

11 441x577

Well young people, finished with the air vents, I dedicated myself to eliminating all the embossed panels present on the entire fuselage of the kit and re-engraved; i also modified the two rear grilles. I don't know in which specimen Tamiya saw them ...:BANGHEAD2:
I then glued the vents together using cyanoacrylate glue to fill the gaps in the joints.
Here are some phone photos of the glued air vents

18 1024x633

The 1/32 scale is really beautiful both for the quality of the details but also because it makes you discover details that would otherwise go unnoticed. Leafing through images after images I noticed several details regarding the vent tubes along the entire fuselage. In the J / S version (and I think also in others) there are two small exhausts on the sides of the fuselage in the rear part of the air intakes and another in the metal part of the exhaust area

pqjxtjiImaJRKoIaJyEkXaPpsiMIJie6ll5dmeqP

wikimedia.org

mVHkPVEJrQ8EfsCH9sdkfkCGKNW1hZBC0cNzQR0G

primeportal.net

I also spotted other exhausts at the bottom of the fuselage.

In this step I changed the tail plans. The kit includes assembly with the fuselage closed but if you want to glue the metal part of the engine area first then you need to separate them to mount them later. Here is my little change:

19 764x640

cut piece

20 604x383

21 458x640

here I cut the edge for insertion

22 342x640

gap filled with plasticard

23 388x640

try inserting tailerons

27 799x481 26 951x640

Well, finished the first works, now it's time for the exhaust nozzle.

After viewing many pictures of the GE J79s, I used this personal method to paint the exhaust petals: first I colored in Alclad Aluminum then I added clear yellow and clear blue. I sprayed XF-1 opaque black and with a cotton swab soaked in thinner I slowly removed the black until the underlying aluminum color showed through. Here is the result and I hope you like the effect and above all I ask you if this effect is realistic for an F-4 Phantom or is it exaggerated? What do you think?

24 638x390

25 429x311

26 444x414

27 414x439

30 638x441

29 453x551

28 627x257

well modeller, here's the job done so far. I hope it is to your liking and so are the comments and criticisms that are always well accepted.;)
Thanks and to the next step.:D

PS: sorry if my English is not perfect because I help myself with the translator.

Edited by Cicciuzzo

• 2 months later...

Good morning friends of LSP. I show you the images of the AIRES cockpit.

Let's start with the colors: FS36231 lightened with white for the tub, instrument panels in matt black. The chairs are in matt black and olive green for the seat, the headrest and the side straps (darkened to give detachment to the green of the headrest); khaki for the backrest; gray for the parachute together with the straps. I open a small parenthesis for the chairs: several images on the net inspired me and I wanted to overdo it a little in enriching them with some details that in 32 seemed a must. I added several cables and cables laterally to the structure and to the parachute as well as side handles and leg straps but I have specified everything better in an image.
Polished everything with Tamiya, whatering with oil colors and opaque with Gunze even if the side structures of the chairs I preferred in semi gloss.
I hope you enjoy my job.

Vintage photo :punk:

Good picciotti. Any comment is always welcome:party0023:

GRAZIEEEE!!!! :wub:

guys, sorry but how do you change the title of the post?

I changed the subject and I will make a F-4J "Silver Eagle" and I wanted to include it in the title. Thanks for the reply

Edited by Cicciuzzo

2 hours ago, Cicciuzzo said:

guys, sorry but how do you change the title of the post?

I changed the subject and I will make a F-4J "Silver Eagle" and I wanted to include it in the title. Thanks for the reply

When you look at your original post (the first one...) you will see 3 horizontal dots on the right hand upper corner.

click on that and you will see the 'Edit' option.  There you can change the title whenever you want, but always from the first post (not from later posts).

Hope this helps

• Cicciuzzo changed the title to F-4J WMFA-115 "Silver Eagle" - 1/32 Tamiya - Cockpit finish
  • Cicciuzzo changed the title to F-4J WMFA-115 "Silver Eagle" - 1/32 Tamiya - Finished cockpit AIRES

Thank you guys. I wanted to tell you that I have changed the subject: I will make the sample of the "Silver Eagle" using badges and numbers of the AOA decals sheet. See you at the next update

The specimen is that of the photo

aF42un-07

the photo is copied from the site:http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/aF42un.html and posted for visual purposes only

Edited by Cicciuzzo

7 minutes ago, Marcel111 said:

The cockpit looks excellent! 

Very interesting technique on the exhausts... hard to tell from the pics if the effect is spot on or a bit too dirty looking.

Cheers,

Marcel

I softened the effect a bit with some very diluted sprays of alclad jet exhaust. thanks to you too for your comment. :D