Tupolev G-1 Polar Transport [Mikro-Mir 1:72] - Complete

Alex

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Thanks guys.  I’m still climbing the learning curve on the whole DIY masking thing, but it’s an amazing tool.  Being able to paint stuff like this rather than having to rely on decals is a game changer for sure.

100%. Best thing to hit the model market in the entire time Ive been modeling. Id venture to say my first gen Silhouette machine that I traded a P-51 for about 3 or 4 years ago (of which I paid roughly $100.00) has now paid for itself MANY times over with the amount of decal purchases its saved me. 

Feeling pretty well wrapped up with this.  I had originally thought I might try to weather it more extensively, but at this point I'm hesitant to screw up what I've got so far.  And I'm excited to get on to the next thing.  So I just did some panel line wash on the floats and added a little bit of light gray to the matte coat to fade it a bit.  One thing that I do plan to do at some point is take a swing at an ocean diorama base for it.

pmBTCjcsj

povhM904j

pnRjkyxFj

You can vaguely see a bit of the cockpit through the canopy.  I tried a new approach to rusty exhaust headers.  After painting them black, I sprayed each one with a coat of clear matte acrylic and then white it was still wet sprinkled a mix of brown, red, and orange pastel dust on it.  The surface roughness is a bit overscale for 1:72, but the color looks right to me.

pmCPTqnNj

pnTXjVVWj

pnVwpyqZj

Even with all the weight I put in the front of the floats, it still wants to tip back onto the back of the floats.  Hence the lump of blue putty propping it up.  

pneFvg5Ej

po0jGX2nj

pmUbvNozj

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

MOST excellent!  Really a different look to the air frame and paint for sure. Well done! 

Thanks!  These old planes, especially big ones, always make me realize that like the only proven past engineering context that the guys designing them had was designing and building boats.  Lots of planes from the nineteen-teens, and even into the 20's like this one, have a distinctly boaty look to my eye.

• Alex changed the title to Tupolev G-1 Polar Transport [Mikro-Mir 1:72] - Complete
41 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

What a bizarre machine; looks real good though, I will say that.

Yeah in addition to boaty it has a distinctly agricultural (I.e. farm equipment) look about it.  Gotta love that Soviet practicality.