1:32 scale Ansaldo A.1 'Balilla'

sandbagger

Hi all,
The 'Aviattic' supplied wood effect fuselage and tail unit decals have now been applied.
Not too easily carried out as the decals need to be accurately cut out from their sheets as they're not 'cookie' cut.
They've all been gloss coated as the next step is to apply the 'HGW Models' nail head decals.
Then it'll be adding the remaining decals and all of the photo-etch details,

Mike

fusdecals2.jpg

Hi all,
The model is supplied with decals for the various nail lines on the fuselage, produced by 'HGW Models'.
These are intended to be applied onto the wood effect decals.
These nail line decals will shown on lighter coloured surfaces, such as on the unpainted fuselage of an Albatros or Roland fighter.
However, they are more or less invisible on a darker background, such as the wood effect decals used on this version of the 'Balilla'.
Therefore instead of using the decals, I used a 'Rosie the Riveter' (0.75 mm) to create by hand the nail lines, using the decal illustration as a guide.
Then wearing a cotton glove, dipped a finger into Dark Earth pigment powder ('Flory Models') and rub the pigment over the fuselage.
Finally a light sealing coat of 'Alclad' Aqua Gloss (ALC-600) was airbrushed over the fuselage,

Mike

naillines.jpg

Looking really good.

One thing to note, my one that has been finished for a couple of years has pretty major wing droop and that is in a glass display cabinet, away from heat and light. I know the wings have metal rods through them but they have sagged considerably since it was finished and does not look good at all. I used EZ line to rig it. 

Eric.

Hi all,
Just a quick update.
The 'Aviattic' fuselage wood effect decals have circular access panels printed, but these look rather ‘flat’.
Therefore to raise these panels and make them stand out more, I added extra decals.
I'm now working my way through the fuselage photo-etch,

Mike

woodpanels1.jpg

woodpanels2.jpg

17 hours ago, ericg said:

Looking really good.

One thing to note, my one that has been finished for a couple of years has pretty major wing droop and that is in a glass display cabinet, away from heat and light. I know the wings have metal rods through them but they have sagged considerably since it was finished and does not look good at all. I used EZ line to rig it. 

Eric.

Hi Eric,

Yes it's quite common for some resin kits to suffer from distortion after a period of time.

Metal rods at the wing roots aid in supporting that end of the wing, but not the outer area of the wings.

Unlike styrene, resin moulded parts don't have 'memory', which is why I think good manufacturers of resin kits secure the main parts on boards/cards in the kit.

It's probably why distorted resin parts are more easy to heat treat than styrene parts, to get them back in shape.

Also thin resin parts are brittle and easily broken, hence the use of metal reinforcing rods moulded into the parts.

I think another reason, particularly with wing droop, is the rigging material used.

I use mono-filament (fishing line), which doesn't 'give' so holds things in shape.

Stretchable rigging line, such as EZ, can stretch many time its own length, so can't retain parts in shape or give structural strength to a build.

I've not had any resin model I've built yet show signs of sag - hopefully they'll stay that way,

Mike   

20 hours ago, spartacus2000 said:

Great detail and work done so far I arrived a little late to give you some tips and photos for the cockpit and engine but if you are interested I can sppedire the photos I took some time ago at the Trento museum. Let me know via pm

Hi,

Thanks for your offer of photographs.

I think I have it covered but I'll sure PM you if needed,

Mike

2 hours ago, sandbagger said:

Hi Eric,

Yes it's quite common for some resin kits to suffer from distortion after a period of time.

Metal rods at the wing roots aid in supporting that end of the wing, but not the outer area of the wings.

Unlike styrene, resin moulded parts don't have 'memory', which is why I think good manufacturers of resin kits secure the main parts on boards/cards in the kit.

It's probably why distorted resin parts are more easy to heat treat than styrene parts, to get them back in shape.

Also thin resin parts are brittle and easily broken, hence the use of metal reinforcing rods moulded into the parts.

I think another reason, particularly with wing droop, is the rigging material used.

I use mono-filament (fishing line), which doesn't 'give' so holds things in shape.

Stretchable rigging line, such as EZ, can stretch many time its own length, so can't retain parts in shape or give structural strength to a build.

I've not had any resin model I've built yet show signs of sag - hopefully they'll stay that way,

Mike   

All good points, but I have built many resin kits over the years and have plenty of experience with biplanes. Out of all the kits that I have on display, this one is the one that has sagged. I did notice that even though the parts were supported with integral metal rods, the top wing was particularly flexible. 

Just something to be aware of that’s all.