Tamiya F4U-1 "Birdcage" Corsair

AlbertD

I hope you guys can put up with me for another build and another Corsair. After the Tamiya Phantom this kit looks amazing. I only hope I can do it justice. It's going to be a long and challenging build for me. Sprue Bro's had a Cyber Monday 25% off sale on resin interiors so I picked up the Brassin cockpit for the heck of it. It does look better than the kit pit but whether it's worth it or not remains to be seen. There is always the kit parts as a backup. This one will also be straight HGW Wet Transfers. Haven't started it yet because I want to study the instructions a bit and look the kit over. I have a bunch of references to use so that should not be a problem. There are also some fantastic builds here on the forum to reference. They are all bookmarked.

Here are a few pictures to get started.

IMG-0896.jpg

IMG-0898.jpg

f4u-1-corsairs-aces-over-solomon-islands

f4u-1-corsair-stencils-132-232012.jpg

IMG-0902.jpg

Just a quick update to show you guys I'm actually working on the Corsair. This is the Eduard cockpit so far. It's been going together well and the detail and fit is pretty amazing. I have yet to touch a kit part. I'm thinking of building the kit cockpit too for a comparison. We'll see how this one goes first though.

IMG-0913.jpg

IMG-0911.jpg

IMG-0912.jpg

11 hours ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

Great start! Have you decided on a scheme yet?

Cheers,  Rockie

Thanks. I don't have the HGW set in hand yet but once I do I'll research all the planes in the set and see which one looks most interesting.

10 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Fantastic Al, you are going to do an amazing job!

Great start

Thanks Anthony, I hope I can do this great kit justice.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Great!  Really looking forward to seeing this kit built again.  I haven't bought it yet, but certainly will at some point.  I hope you do build both cockpits - it would be nice to see them side by side.

I was worried you guys have seen enough Tamiya Corsairs built. Since you are interested in seeing both cockpits I will probably build both. This resin cockpit looks amazing but the kit parts look great too.

The Eduard cockpit is going together really well. The detail is beautiful and the fit is pretty amazing. I'm close to putting some of the tiny decals on some of the parts. I have the Barracuda Cals set and the HGW set. They both have pretty much the same placards and stencils but the Barracuda Cals set is definitely better. They are much clearer and more readable. The HGW set also has some spelling errors. It probably wouldn't make a difference at Scale but since I have both I'll stick with the Barracuda set and use the HGW set as a backup.

I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow. I should have most of the day to work on it. I'm also a suckered for punishment I guess because the Eduard Brassin engine set is on the way. I don't know why but it was there and they took paypal. Just too easy.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

Looks great. 

I like your choice of markings,

I wonder if the tamiya cockpit would fit the trumpeter kit :hmmm:

Thanks. I have no idea if it would fit. If you want to find out I would be happy to send you the kit cockpit sprue once I get the Eduard fuselage fitted. The Eduard kit did use a couple of the small kit parts though. Just a couple of little knobs and levers. All I would ask is for you to cover shipping costs.

1 hour ago, AlbertD said:

Thanks. I have no idea if it would fit. If you want to find out I would be happy to send you the kit cockpit sprue once I get the Eduard fuselage fitted. The Eduard kit did use a couple of the small kit parts though. Just a couple of little knobs and levers. All I would ask is for you to cover shipping costs.

Hey Albert. 

Thanks for the offer. Ill take you up on that, ill gladly pay shipping cost. No rush at all. Im planning a double trumpeter build for 2021. Ill be following your thread for inspiration 

Cheers

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Hey Albert. 

Thanks for the offer. Ill take you up on that, ill gladly pay shipping cost. No rush at all. Im planning a double trumpeter build for 2021. Ill be following your thread for inspiration 

Cheers

It's all yours as soon as I'm sure the Eduard set will work which I'm 99.9% sure it will. Looking at the Tamiya parts it looks like it's almost as detailed as the Eduard stuff. One thing I'm seeing though is that the Tamiya parts are a comprises to use the same parts with the F4U-1A kit. The Eduard set is Birdcage specific.

Just a real quick update. I made a bit of progress on the cockpit. As I said before the detail is really nice. Another thing is how amazingly well the Barracuda Cals decals go down. Just one application of Micro Sol and they lay right down over the details and look great. Right now the panels in this picture have no clear coat.

IMG-0914.jpg

What do you guys think about the level of chipping and dirt? This is going to be a land based plane from about mid 1943 so it would be well used. I don't think I want to make it much dirtier but I could clean it up a bit if needed. Of course the pictures are way bigger then the parts. It's about ready to start putting together. It will still need some wires and other little details. I hope to have the cockpit done this week then I can start working on some kit plastic. I can't wait.

IMG-0916.jpg

IMG-0917.jpg

IMG-0918.jpg

IMG-0920.jpg

IMG-0923.jpg

IMG-0927.jpg