Hellenic Air Force F-16C Block 30 - "Iason"

jenshb

Admittedly, I have an unbroken track record of not finishing anything for any groupbuild, and I think one reason is biting over more than I can chew in the time allocated due to so many projects and so little time.  This time I am looking at finishing a kit that shouldn't provide too many problems - Tamiya's superb F-16C. 

oVUDNzD.jpg

I have decals for a specially painted jet from 346 Sqn Hellenic Air Force - Iason.  All photos I have seen of this aircraft shows it clean with only the centreline pylon, but no missiles or tanks.  I am happy to take some artistic licence and put a couple of AMRAAMS and Sidewinders on it, and we can always assume the gun is loaded:)

The kit has been started a while ago (planning to make an Israeli F-16D using the Isracast conversion), but only got as far as gluing the air intake parts, drop tanks, tailfin, leading edge slats and stabs and some pylons.

The real aircraft is a Block 30, which means I need to add the brake chute container, and associated aerials as well as the ID spotlight on the starboard side of the nose.  Undecided whether to build it wheels down or wheels up.

Does this fall within the parameters of this groupbuild?

Jens

• jenshb changed the title to Hellenic Air Force F-16C Block 30 - "Iason"
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, something interesting to show.  First up is the ResKit turbine, flameholder and afterburner.  They have large pouring gates that will require sawing and a fair amount of sanding, but go gently and there will be no problem or broken parts.  The parts are keyed to make sure their orientation is correct, so assembly is problem free.  Still have to do some more creative painting on the inner exhaust nozzle though.

fuWcB1c.jpg

The extended tailfin base containing the brake chute and ASPIS antenna was taken from the Academy Sufa.  The Academy part is somewhat deeper than the Tamiya base and about 0.25 mm wider.  I glued one half to the Tamiya fin first, making sure it was straight in side and plan view, then added the other half.  Will need to open up the end of the brake chute container to put some Magic Sculpt  inside to reinforce before sanding the bottom, and some panel lines need to be rescribed as they don't match.  The brake chute itself will be made from scratch with Magic Sculp as a rigid plastic part doesn't convey the look of fabric.

vKUa27v.jpg

The pilot himself will also get some Magic Sculpt.  The hands don't quite grip the stick or throttle very well, so I glued the stick to the right hand and did the same with the throttle and the left hand.  As the nozzle will be closed, the throttle lever is not fully forward.  Don't know if this position is not correct for flight, but it's too late to change now - at least it's not all the way back.  The left arm needed to be adjusted, so will require some Magic Sculpt and the hand will also need to "get a grip".  The oxygen hose will be added later, the head will also be repositioned as well, hence hollowing out the recess for the head.

i5Tqz4q.jpg

Thank you gents.  The Res-Kit exhaust is far superior to the kit in terms of detail, comprising six resin parts and one photoetched part.  Fit is really good, and the parts are keyed to ensure correct orientation relative to eachother.  You will need to ensure the correct orientation yourself when joining it to the kit doughnut panel though, and you will also need to glue plastic strip or pads to correctly center it as the diameter of the afterburner is smaller than the kit.  I will take some pics later.  The nozzle exterior is a pretty good match for the doughnut panel though.  I have the Aires exhaust as well, but decided to use the Res-Kit one simply because it is closed so looks a bit different on an in-flight model.

Right then, here's the modification I did to the kit doughnut panel.  I used 0.25 mm Evergreen strip laid multiple times to get a tight fit that would keep the exhaust duct centred.

XzpW1K0.jpg

Like this:

5N2GB2B.jpg

The nozzle was painted Steel on the outside of the nozzle flaps and Tamiya Deck Tan and Buff and a mix for some variation.  FInally, weathered with a Van Dyke Brown oil paint wash and some streaks.