Decaling over tamiya AS 12 bare metal silver (can)

Rob Colvin

A glossy surface is preferable, but lately I've discovered that brushing a little gloss clear acrylic where the decal will go works surprisingly well. I've tried Future, Ammo and Aqua Gloss. Of those three Aqua Gloss is best, even sucked the decal down into recessed rivets. Do a test to see if it will work for you.

11 hours ago, Rob Colvin said:

Was wondering, can I decal directly over the paint? I know, gloss before decal......but I was hoping I could get away with it. 

Thanks

you do not need to gloss before decals - this is a 'modelling myth' that is perpetuated through repetition

3 minute video to debunk the myth

was not impressed with the video you could still see the edge of the decal and  it  will silver in some light.  I hate  using a top coat of future and have gone to selectively airbrushing  where the decal will be or brush it on for small decals.  that being said over gloss or metallic I would not future coat as it destroys the metallic sheen

Edited by dashotgun

2 hours ago, dashotgun said:

was not impressed with the video you could still see the edge of the decal and  it  will silver in some light.  I hate  using a top coat of future and have gone to selectively airbrushing  where the decal will be or brush it on for small decals

he was decalling onto 400 grit sandpaper and there are a few scruffy bits on the edges and that's what you pick up? :doh:

"let's agree to disagree" as they say

• 2 weeks later...