Do you want a 1/32 P-3 Orion?

Anthony in NZ

On 12/4/2020 at 9:27 PM, Grizly said:

I’ll pass. Maybe in 1/48 scale. The model I’d really like to see emerge is that of the P2 Neptune but once again in 1/48 scale. While neither fit into the definition of ‘large scale’ kits, both would most certainly be large models.

In 1/32 scale i've been "fidgeting" this Neptune project, had me made a 1/32 blue print of a P2V with a professional printing firm, collected lots and lots of info on the aircraft, and started ordering large sheets of polistyrene plates. Had the idea of trying to duplicate the method i used to build my 1/32 Grumman Mohawk by using a balsa core covered with plastic sheet, heat formed over the balsa parts, but due to circumstances shelved it a couple of years ago, so yes, like this Orion i would love to see a Neptune..........

On 12/1/2020 at 8:54 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

As the title says, One Man Model who has made a few of us here a 1/32 Andover is making an L-188 Electra and P-3 in 1/48 scale.  If there is enough interest (I would say 3 kits...I am definatley in) then we can get the Orion in 1/32 scale!

Any takers??

Hi Anthony. I am wanting a 1/32 P-3, but am not sure how to proceed. If you are still interested in takers, please count me in.

6 minutes ago, bobster said:

Hi Anthony. I am wanting a 1/32 P-3, but am not sure how to proceed. If you are still interested in takers, please count me in.

Hi Bobster for your reply

We have the numbers to get the P-3 done in 1/32 and it has officially been put on his product list for 2021 (I think he said August??)  anyway, she's a comin!

I will keep you all updated as info comes to hand on this thread.  Several others have ordered the Andover/748 in 1/32 scale directly from him now.  We just got to give him the encouragement to let him know that there is interest (and at least 3-4 orders) in some of his projects to be upscaled and produced

Thanks for all the support, I had no idea so many would want this in 32nd...but there you go, I am pleasantly surprised!

Cheers Anthony

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

The Electra has just been released. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114868188323?_ul=BE

So it looks the Orion will probably be for September.

I have the 1/72 scale version of the Electra, and I have to confess that I'm quite disappointed with the print quality on my sample. Lots of heavy striations and layer lines, and the material they've used is much more resistant to sanding than traditional styrene (I believe it's PLA). Most of the panel lines will be destroyed in the smoothing process, and the props are all-but unusable, with heavily frayed edges and what appears to be incomplete printing. Same with the landing gear struts. The photo Andy posted appears to show something altogether better, though the sheer size of the 1/32 kit relative to its layer lines will be a factor in minimising the visual impact of those lines. That said, I'm still looking forward to tackling it, but won't buy another of Toshihiko's kits sight-unseen.

Kev

3 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I have the 1/72 scale version of the Electra, and I have to confess that I'm quite disappointed with the print quality on my sample. Lots of heavy striations and layer lines, and the material they've used is much more resistant to sanding than traditional styrene (I believe it's PLA). Most of the panel lines will be destroyed in the smoothing process, and the props are all-but unusable, with heavily frayed edges and what appears to be incomplete printing. Same with the landing gear struts. The photo Andy posted appears to show something altogether better, though the sheer size of the 1/32 kit relative to its layer lines will be a factor in minimising the visual impact of those lines. That said, I'm still looking forward to tackling it, but won't buy another of Toshihiko's kits sight-unseen.

Kev

I wonder if he is speeding up the print process or using a different head or something which makes it more grainy but faster to produce??

I have no idea if what I said is even possible

6 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

I wonder if he is speeding up the print process or using a different head or something which makes it more grainy but faster to produce??

I have no idea if what I said is even possible

He did comment once that printing at higher resolutions would be completely uneconomical, due to the greater material use and greatly extended print times. So I can understand that, and it won't stop me building the kit, but it certainly won't be any less work than converting the Hasegawa Orion. Obviously, it's a different proposition altogether in the larger scales.

Kev