Italeri CF-104 Starfighter "Kicked up a Notch": KLP Publishing eBook now Available!

chuck540z3

Very well done Chuck. as an exercise in achieving a very specific effect, I think that you succeeded with flying colours (in addition, you educated us all with some very good problem solving techniques and had to overcome some difficult challenges along the way on your journey, for which you have our thanks).

Regards

Derek

Beautiful work, as usual, Chuck.  You are much more patient and talented than I am.  Yet another build to be extremely proud of.

A friend of mine flew Starfighters with 422 Sqn in Europe.  Not sure if he ever flew 760 but I know he flew 711 (after checking his logbook briefly) when he was on Course 4 at 6 ST/R OTU and that's what I'm going to build my large Starfighter as.  He's 95 now.  Would you mind if I saved your completed build photos and shared them in an e-mail with Des?  I know he would appreciate them and the memories.  I thought I'd ask your permission before doing so.

I look forward to your Hellcat build.

Take care and stay safe.

Mike

Thank you everyone for your very kind words and thoughts!  I really appreciate all of them.

12 minutes ago, ax365 said:

Beautiful work, as usual, Chuck.  You are much more patient and talented than I am.  Yet another build to be extremely proud of.

A friend of mine flew Starfighters with 422 Sqn in Europe.  Not sure if he ever flew 760 but I know he flew 711 (after checking his logbook briefly) when he was on Course 4 at 6 ST/R OTU and that's what I'm going to build my large Starfighter as.  He's 95 now.  Would you mind if I saved your completed build photos and shared them in an e-mail with Des?  I know he would appreciate them and the memories.  I thought I'd ask your permission before doing so.

I look forward to your Hellcat build.

Take care and stay safe.

Mike

Certainly Mike and thank you!  Once you post pics on the 'net, they are pretty much public property anyway, unless someone is using them for commercial reasons and that's not likely to happen.  Fire away!

Cheers,

Chuck

Well, it really turned out better than I thought with the painting and the rivetting.... I'm even thinking about a more thorough consideration towards Alclad II for my model as well. A very very GJ with the weathering! These subtle nuances look so awesome, especially with the contrasting decals. It's really beautiful!

Thank you everyone again for your very kind words.  I really appreciate and read every one, even though I don't respond to individual ones very often, unless there is a question.  That's where the "Thanks" button comes in very handy!

For those of you who might want this build thread in a step by step guide, it looks like this Starfighter is being wedged into the long line-up of future eBooks at KLP Publishing.  This will no doubt take a long time, but based upon what LSP Kevin did with my Tempest build, I think the wait will be worth it!

rE1xJs.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Chuck,

late to the thread, but I’m working on same kit. I’ve actually been speaking with an old F104 pilot who lives in Calgary for some reference detail to help me out. 
I added some engine bay detail to mine so far. The kit has been a bit disappointing for detail, but doing my best to bump it up. 

17 hours ago, DHPRO said:

Hi Chuck,

late to the thread, but I’m working on same kit. I’ve actually been speaking with an old F104 pilot who lives in Calgary for some reference detail to help me out. 
I added some engine bay detail to mine so far. The kit has been a bit disappointing for detail, but doing my best to bump it up.

Hi,

If you want a full comprehensive guide, I'm pleased to say that the next eBook from KLP Publishing will be this very build:

Building the Italeri CF-104 Starfighter in 1/32 Scale, Build Guide Series 12

According to Kevin it should be done by the end of January or early February, so not too long to wait if you want a step by step guide without sifting through 41 pages of this thread.  It will also have over 100 walkaround  photos by Gord McTaggart, of the CF-104 that currently resides at The Military Museum here in Calgary Alberta, Canada, which I used a lot for references.

mUVucf.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• chuck540z3 changed the title to Italeri CF-104 Starfighter "Kicked up a Notch": Dec 14/21 New KLP Publishing eBook Coming