Italeri CF-104 Starfighter "Kicked up a Notch": KLP Publishing eBook now Available!

chuck540z3

• 2 weeks later...

March 30/21

I hate the end of any modeling project, but this one more in particular.  So many of the tiny details are left off the model until the very end for fear of breakage, but this is also usually when the model is the most difficult to handle at the same time.  At about 21” long not including the needle-like pitot tube on the nose, it’s hard to work with this jet without it banging into everything, damaging the paint.  All the hard work you put into a model can come crashing down at the end if you’re unlucky or not careful.  In any case, this model is DONE!

I do, however, have some recent challenges that I'd like to share as follows;

-  I left off the control surfaces for ease of handling and painting, which worked great.  With no tabs to use to attach them to the wings and tail, however, they are tough to glue using CA glue without making a mess, especially after painting.  I pulled it off OK, but it was unnecessary stress to do so and if I built this model again, I would glue them on early before paint with Tamiya cement.

-  The open Avionics Bay cover and Canopy are likely the most vulnerable parts of any build I’ve dealt with before, because again, there are no tabs to slide them into.  They just sit there and presumably other modelers have used CA glue to secure them, risking pretty much everything as they hang over the side defying gravity.  For this I figured out a better way, using small drill bit pins to hold them in place without any glue at all.  It was risky drilling the holes into the sides of the thin fuselage walls, but I’m pretty happy with the results.

-  Gluing a painted canopy rail inside the canopy was also tricky, because there are only 2 contact points at the rear, leaving the front and one side unsecured.  This was also accomplished with thin CA glue without a major mishap, but it too was risky and stressful.

-  My method of attaching the landing gear at the end worked like a charm, but then again, I did trim and dry fit everything before paint to make sure that happened.  Landing gear doors, however, also without attaching tabs, were a real pain to attach cleanly.  Did I mention that this was stressful as well?

-  I weathered the model with pastels to show that this was a working jet and not a museum piece, but still not filthy like maybe a Greek Starfighter.  I think it added just the right amount of realism and made it more interesting to look at, which changes from every angle with different lighting.

One last step I would like to show is final assembly of the landing gear and other items, starting with this:

5m7E94.jpg

Not only do the ResKit wheels look great on the kit legs, you can align the wheels perfectly with them off the model which is a first for me.  I added the main hydraulic brake line down the legs according to references and not much else, other than tie-down hooks which is found on the left and missing on the right (it fell off, since fixed).  While the wheels are circles going over square pegs for the legs, they still fit nice and tight with a little trimming.

VfZUMJ.jpg

These wheels are directional and according to references, that bulbous notch feature on the wheel should be at the rear on either side, while the brake line goes into the side of the coupling at the top of the wheel.

M8QG40.jpg

With everything attached that hangs on the bottom, plus a little weathering with pastels.

i8PzoJ.jpg

And now a few pics of the completed model.  This metallic finish was really hard to photograph, because on a flat light background, it reflects nothing, dulling the look of the finish.  As a result, I retook a few of them from many different angles with my go-to blue background, which shows the metallic sheen a lot better.

Here’s what I mean…

J6Obn0.jpg

VS.

2FDd1E.jpg

HuMHzv.jpg

L5Ztx2.jpg

vKaltC.jpg

ROD3vd.jpg

023NZJ.jpg

M4zrHM.jpg

Fdlz25.jpg

BFVSfv.jpg

eqCZBw.jpg

RBSmF6.jpg

Final Thoughts

This kit is a real mixed bag of some good features and many challenges, but overall can be made into a pretty accurate looking F-104.  The deep and wide panel lines are the weakest part of the fuselage which are very hard to mitigate, so you pretty much have to just live with them.  While the Black Box (Avionix) resin cockpit made for the Hasegawa kit fit fairly well, the Aires Avionics and Ammunition Bay was a very tight fit and is not recommended to beginners.  The ResKit engine/exhaust and CF-104 wheels are outstanding, while the VideoAviation SUU-21 (converted to MN-1A) bomb dispenser was pretty good.  The biggest surprise was the kit decals, which I would also consider outstanding, but I understand that decals in earlier versions of this kit are not very good.  The HGW decal rivets worked much better than I thought, but with over 9,000 of them, you really have to want to put in the time to get the desired effect.  Overall, a very good modeling experience, but I’m really glad it’s over with!

The rest of the pics will be in the Ready for Inspection Forum.  See you there!

Ready For Inspection

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• chuck540z3 changed the title to Italeri CF-104 Starfighter "Kicked up a Notch": Mar30/21, DONE!

That is simply superlative work, Chuck. It actually looks real. Quite masterful, actually. I thoroughly enjoyed following this thread and learning from your tutorials. Thank you for sharing this wonderful build with us. 

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Superb work, Chuck! If I'm honest, though, I think I prefer the photos against the white background. They just seem a little more realistic to me, even if they don't quite show the metallic effect the way you were hoping.

Kev

Thanks Kev, that's why I took both types of shots.  To my human eye, the metal finish is stained and weathered a bit, but still quite shiny.  The white background looks like the paint is dull and quite dirty, while the blue background shows that it looks shiny with not much weathering stain.  It's somewhere in between, honest! ^_^

Cheers,

Chuck

Awesome!

Also indeed really interesting what I different background and lighting can do -on the last 2 photo's on one the stencil placards on the bomb dispenser are barely visible, on the other they stand out really well.

Thanks for keeping an extensive build log like this and taking the time to answer questions and come up with pointers and hints. I, for one, really appreciate the effort required to keep up a log like this. :)