Italeri CF-104 Starfighter "Kicked up a Notch": KLP Publishing eBook now Available!

chuck540z3

Just superb Chuck! The rivets are an undoubted success in my book, particularly in how they change appearance upon angle and lighting. 

How delicate did you go with the application of Microsol on the Alclad/X-22 surface? It looks like the clear barrier did the job perfectly. I'm going to do my Alclad job like this so any info on that is very helpful. Anyhow, what decal film?! 

I look forward to what magic you will work with these metallic washes :popcorn: .

David

Thanks Guys!  Since so much could have gone wrong if the X-22 didn't seal the Alclad, I am very happy with the results- and also very relieved!

1 hour ago, Marine104 said:

Just superb Chuck! The rivets are an undoubted success in my book, particularly in how they change appearance upon angle and lighting. 

How delicate did you go with the application of Microsol on the Alclad/X-22 surface? It looks like the clear barrier did the job perfectly. I'm going to do my Alclad job like this so any info on that is very helpful. Anyhow, what decal film?! 

I look forward to what magic you will work with these metallic washes :popcorn: .

David

Thanks David!

It's really too bad everyone can't see the rivets in person, because close up to my eyes, I can hardly tell the rivets are raised at all.  They are, of course, which makes them visible at all and I don't think you could create recessed rivet marks that would be as tightly spaced and as small without paint filling them in.  If you want real small, the super tiny HGW 481011 set I used on the dorsal panels as an experiment show up much better than I expected.

Since the kit and some of the other decals were so good, I didn't apply any Microsol to most of them and when I did, it was only to specific areas where I wanted the decal to settle down a bit more, like over panel lines and fastener detail.  I added a thin bead of it and never let it pool, like I might normally do on a regularly painted surface.  The key is to get the Microsol over the decal and try to avoid the paint.

Another tip:  When you are happy with the decals and there is nothing lifting or needing repairs, shoot a spot coat of X-22 over all of them.  I've found that over time, some decals might start to lift as they dry out, so sealing them in prevents that, while softening decal film edges.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck...that's a gorgeous F-104! Can't wait to smell that JP-4 exhaust out of that J-79!

I'll for sure follow the Hellcat build! Have that kit too. Reminds of a bill board I saw at 

Cold Lake for Maple Flag years ago...said "Drink Canada Dry"...and I accepted the challenge!

They meant Ginger Ale...I was downing Labatt's Blue!

Cheers...Ron

My first comment on your F-104.  When I was a kid, my favorite fighter by far was the F-104.  I of course built the Revell or Monogram (don't recall which the manufacturer was) in 1/48.  This build is going to look like it can taxi out and take off in thundering fashion.  Well done as usual.  BTW, I cannot wait to see what you will do with that Hellcat! 

23 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Thanks Guys!  Since so much could have gone wrong if the X-22 didn't seal the Alclad, I am very happy with the results- and also very relieved!

Thanks David!

It's really too bad everyone can't see the rivets in person, because close up to my eyes, I can hardly tell the rivets are raised at all.  They are, of course, which makes them visible at all and I don't think you could create recessed rivet marks that would be as tightly spaced and as small without paint filling them in.  If you want real small, the super tiny HGW 481011 set I used on the dorsal panels as an experiment show up much better than I expected.

Since the kit and some of the other decals were so good, I didn't apply any Microsol to most of them and when I did, it was only to specific areas where I wanted the decal to settle down a bit more, like over panel lines and fastener detail.  I added a thin bead of it and never let it pool, like I might normally do on a regularly painted surface.  The key is to get the Microsol over the decal and try to avoid the paint.

Another tip:  When you are happy with the decals and there is nothing lifting or needing repairs, shoot a spot coat of X-22 over all of them.  I've found that over time, some decals might start to lift as they dry out, so sealing them in prevents that, while softening decal film edges.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck for the info!

I know what you mean about the HGW rivets. I bought some a few years back (ironically for the prominently raised ones on the F-104's rear exhaust area) and was a little disappointed in how 'shallow' they are, practically as flat as a decal, which for this purpose works perfectly. Having played with them a little bit, getting that many on your F-104 without having obvious rivet gaps where they didn't stick is impressive alone. 

Spot shooting X-22 over the needed areas sounds like a good idea too, will do!

Cheers,

David

One more tip David, or whoever else might be trying these rivet decals.  Assuming you use Microset as a decal solution, you will find that the odd rivet might not stick, which leaves a gap.  It was very few for me once I figured out the importance of using a decal solution over water, but it happens.  Repairs are super easy by just cutting a thin slice of decal film to replace the missing rivet or two.  What wasn't easy, was remembering where the heck they all were, because they were all over the place while I continued to add more rivets elsewhere.  Being so tiny and with clear film, many of them completely disappeared which would have been OK, but after a coat of Alclad a few of them showed up again and I had to do repairs, which is a real pain with this metallic finish.  Thinking I was finished with all them, a few more popped up again after I applied the X-22 clear coat, with the thinner in the X-22 no doubt reacting a bit with the decal film, making repairs even harder when they were removed, leaving a black background.

So what would I do different next time?  Place a tiny piece of tape beside each and every rivet repair to remind you where they are, and all of the decal film is removed before paint.  If I had done this it would have saved me a lot of grief.

Cheers,

Chuck