Italeri CF-104 Starfighter "Kicked up a Notch": KLP Publishing eBook now Available!

chuck540z3

9 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Wow, simply stunning work Chuck!

What did you use for the fuel tank straps?

Tim

Thanks Tim.  The straps are just photo-etch seat belts, flipped over to avoid the detail of the belts.  I picked a set that were a bit shiny, to sort of replicate what can be seen on the reference pic above.  As mentioned, if the tank was to be exposed with the door open, I would have done a lot more to the tank area for detail.  For what you can actually see with the door closed, I did too much already!  ^_^

Day 2 of removing seams from all the landing gear parts. What a pain.   Like the fuel tank, I'm so glad that much of this will not be visible without flipping the model on it's back.  According to the DACO book, the number of hydraulic and other lines is massive, so I'll focus my attention on the gear legs and wheels that you can see easily and not a gear bay that you can't.

Cheers,

Chuck

On 1/6/2021 at 11:01 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Thank you very much guys!  A few model supply items that might be of interest:

-  I just ordered 30 bottles of MRP paint, but MRP out of Slovakia won't ship directly to Canada any more.  This may be due to our stupid Canada Post service not allowing the mailing of solvents and other paints as "Non Mailable Matter", with no regard to volume and actual risk of a few small bottles of paint.  HobbyWorld-USA thankfully will, so they may not have got the memo.  ;)  Having said that, I can get paint deliveries from SE Asia all day long, probably because they don't care about stupid Canada Post rules.

-  HobbyWorld is out of New Hampshire and I got my paint order in about 2 weeks by USPS mail.  Pretty darn good.

-  UMM-USA (excellent hobby store) is out of Illinois somewhere and ship through Chicago, which is the black hole of the USPS these days.  My last shipment took 6 weeks and my current two shipments (Rosie the Riveter and HGW decal rivets) still sit in a Chicago warehouse somewhere doing nothing after 5 weeks- so far.  Pretty darn bad, so try to avoid the Chicago area if you're in a hurry for anything from the USPS.  This is not a dump on the USPS in general, especially during this horrible pandemic, but some areas are much worse than others for deliveries.

Cheers,

Chuck

I hear you about struggling with Canada Post!  Just today I got the Christmas present that my daughter mailed a month ago from Toronto (I'm in Boston).  You could have walked it here faster...

2 hours ago, jenshb said:

Although you will leave the hatch covering the computers open, would you be able to close it?  THere seems to be insufficient clearance between the computer boxes and the support for the seat.

Good point, but as I mentioned in my post above, nothing is glued yet, "so excuse the gaps and other fit issues that will disappear when that finally happens".  Also, the F-104 avionics hatch overlaps the rear of the seat a bit providing a few inches of clearance behind it, as shown in my dry fit of the cockpit a few weeks ago.  Since this pic was taken I sanded the bottom of the seat a bit more so that it would fit lower, but on the real deal it barely fits under the glass.

2qQNub.jpg

Now one thing that's doesn't fit is the avionics door over the bay itself in the closed position.  That little black box on the forward side of the door interferes with the boxes underneath.  I don't know what Aires was thinking, but since the door is always posed open, few would know or care.

Cheers,

Chuck

1 hour ago, Winnie said:

The proper nomenclature for the avionics bay is "Q-Bay" same as on the U-2... (now the geek will retreat...)

Awesome work!

Thanks, now a question.  Why the heck is there glass behind the seat anyway?  Can you actually see a lot more through the rear view mirrors that way?

Cheers,

Chuck

you can actually see behind with the mirrors, not much but some! also a good place to hide the helmet bag when flying... And some very small baggage.

The ammo compartment can hide at least 3 VHS players in original boxes, and a cargo tank can hold several turkeys. THey had a cargo tank that was a converted fuel tank on a Norwegian CF... That led to a small disaster in Denmark when the fuel guy topped up ALL the externals by the cap...

That's the shame of all the small, tiny or even big accurate (or the close facsimile of it) details we put into our models. Sometimes when the fuselage is closed up or the door is attached, much of days, hours and pulled out hair spent detailing is almost gone to the eye.

Yeah "but I know it's there " is something we say including myself,  but it's still irritating that one has built a bang up model with stunning details on the inside that either you can't see or are hard to see and when the model is done the detail is virtually nonexistent.

Buuuut, Chuck's detail will always be absolutely awesome. I wish I had your talent brother!!!

Tim

15 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Thanks, now a question.  Why the heck is there glass behind the seat anyway?  Can you actually see a lot more through the rear view mirrors that way?

Cheers,

Chuck

Easiest answer is because that’s how Kelly designed it.  Besides, that area had to be made out of something, so.......  Plexi back there let’s more light into the cockpit, arguably looks better and gives the driver a sense of being able to see more, even if he can’t.

On 1/7/2021 at 8:37 PM, Winnie said:

you can actually see behind with the mirrors, not much but some! also a good place to hide the helmet bag when flying... And some very small baggage.

The ammo compartment can hide at least 3 VHS players in original boxes, and a cargo tank can hold several turkeys. THey had a cargo tank that was a converted fuel tank on a Norwegian CF... That led to a small disaster in Denmark when the fuel guy topped up ALL the externals by the cap...

:lol: I believe that story involved Tom Byrne and we don't spill the rest of that. LOL. 

Great work Chuck! Keep at it :clap2:

On 1/6/2021 at 9:01 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Thank you very much guys!  A few model supply items that might be of interest:

-  I just ordered 30 bottles of MRP paint, but MRP out of Slovakia won't ship directly to Canada any more.  This may be due to our stupid Canada Post service not allowing the mailing of solvents and other paints as "Non Mailable Matter", with no regard to volume and actual risk of a few small bottles of paint.  HobbyWorld-USA thankfully will, so they may not have got the memo.  ;)  Having said that, I can get paint deliveries from SE Asia all day long, probably because they don't care about stupid Canada Post rules.

-  HobbyWorld is out of New Hampshire and I got my paint order in about 2 weeks by USPS mail.  Pretty darn good.

-  UMM-USA (excellent hobby store) is out of Illinois somewhere and ship through Chicago, which is the black hole of the USPS these days.  My last shipment took 6 weeks and my current two shipments (Rosie the Riveter and HGW decal rivets) still sit in a Chicago warehouse somewhere doing nothing after 5 weeks- so far.  Pretty darn bad, so try to avoid the Chicago area if you're in a hurry for anything from the USPS.  This is not a dump on the USPS in general, especially during this horrible pandemic, but some areas are much worse than others for deliveries.

Cheers,

Chuck

Artscale in the Czeck Republic will ship MRP to Canada.

I spoke to the owner of MRP, he is looking for a Canadian distributor, I may have found him one.

I ordered from Hobbyworld recently, it was very slow and he shorted me two bottles last order. I tried to contact him but he didn’t return any of my emails. Unfortunate as he was fast and a good communicator in previous dealings.

Spruebrothers ship to Canada even though the site says they don’t. I know others who have used them in the Toronto area but I don’t know how they accomplish it.

Awesome work on the avionics bay!

Edited by ScoobyDoo