Italeri CF-104 Starfighter "Kicked up a Notch": KLP Publishing eBook now Available!

chuck540z3

Thanks so much guys.  I started my post last night and already have many responses- and I haven't done anything yet!

4 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

One of my favourite jets, so very much looking forward to this. The gun fairing is included in the kit, not sure if it's mentioned in the instructions.

Have you seen this?

Thanks Andy, yes I have and it's very nice, which brings up my new modeling priorities, especially when it comes to the bottom of any aircraft.  If the landing gear bays are large and exposed, like my Tempest and P-51 Mustang, I will spend some time to detail them.  On this jet, like the F-15, the main gear doors are closed when it's parked, so detailing that area is a waste of time for me, as would the engine door opening on the bottom, since I will see none of that without flipping over the model or using a mirror.  It also breaks up the missile-like lines of the jet for me, so I'll pass on anything that can only be seen from the bottom.

My focus will be on the top, where you can see everything.  The cockpit and avionics bay will be super detailed, as will the panel line and rivet detail and that fantastic looking ResKit engine.

One thing I'm thinking about right now is how to build this model without the landing gear attached early, which is always in the way and subject to damage.  I avoided that pain on my F-15C, F-18D and F-5E by modifying a few things, so maybe I can figure out how to do that on this model while keeping the structural integrity of the gear and fuselage in tact.  I love challenges like this.  I may bug out or crash and burn, but at least I'll try!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Just a tip: make an easy stand out of foam or another common material. The plane should be easy for balancing because of its narrow and thin shape. Btw about the super detailing of the cockpit - I thought a lot about it and after seeing a couple of finished models - hmm... the cockpit of the Starfighter is so small that not everything will be nicely visible. That's why I only got a resin seat + pilot. The cockpit will be even mroe ''stuffed'' with them. But it would be very interesting to see how it will turn out the cockpit in your model. Do you plan to use a pilot figure as well? And do you already know the position of the canopy - open/close? Thx :)

49 minutes ago, F`s are my favs said:

Just a tip: make an easy stand out of foam or another common material. The plane should be easy for balancing because of its narrow and thin shape. Btw about the super detailing of the cockpit - I thought a lot about it and after seeing a couple of finished models - hmm... the cockpit of the Starfighter is so small that not everything will be nicely visible. That's why I only got a resin seat + pilot. The cockpit will be even mroe ''stuffed'' with them. But it would be very interesting to see how it will turn out the cockpit in your model. Do you plan to use a pilot figure as well? And do you already know the position of the canopy - open/close? Thx :)

Open canopy (always so far), no pilot (I suck at figures) and I think the cockpit will still be visible enough to make detailing it worthwhile.  The F-5E pit is quite small, but it can still look like this:

kzzLl1.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Awesome Chuck! My dad was at Edwards way back when I was a young fella (1958-1964)

and I remember watching the F-104A test/chase planes fly with the day-glow orange red 

paint on them. And the howl of that J-79 when they would pull the power off when landing.

Great airplane and Lockheed product! 

Cheers...Ron

Chuck before you begin the cockpit, you may want to check your references as things changed over the years, especially the instrument panel. Also on the left hand console the CF-104 didn't have the line of circuit breakers along the edge, you can see the cockpit of the one in the Calgary museum in this video:

Jari

Perfect, thank you Jari!  I have a similar video, but it's full of adds and doesn't have the Calgary CF-104.  It makes me cry that I can't take pics of it myself instead. 

It also appears that this jet has the gun.  I wonder what the history is of this bird?

Cheers,

Chuck

Im going to follow this one real close. I have the same build planned. 

Funny enough your box decals appear to have the correct maple leafs. Mine has the ones that look like mari jane leafs ! Wonder if the fixed the decals at some point.