Italeri CF-104 Starfighter "Kicked up a Notch": KLP Publishing eBook now Available!

chuck540z3

December 31/20

Happy New Year!  Let’s hope 2021 is a LOT better than 2020, which isn’t saying much!

A quick update as you get your hair done with sparkles for tonight’s big party plans.  No party plans?  Me either, so let’s do a quick modeling update instead!

As indicated a few times above, I have been concerned about the fact that when you close up the main fuselage halves, all landing gear is hanging down and exposed to damage, because it is integrated into the gear bays.  I have faced this problem on many builds before and always found a way to alter the parts a bit, allowing me to attach the landing gear at the end like usual.  This allows me to focus on the gear as separate assemblies and prevents inevitable damage as they hang out and get caught on everything.  I read in a few builds of this kit that it can’t be done without strength problems later, which motivates me even more to find a way!

First, here is what the main gear, part B20, looks like before clean-up.  I’ve experienced a lot of seam lines on landing gear before, but this is crazy and will take a long time to clean up, while having those outside actuators already attached to the gear is just asking for breakage if the gear is installed early as instructed.  All the more reason to find a way to attach them at the end of the build, rather than half way through.

gtqgNO.jpg

Here is why they are installed early.  Gear Part B20 is locked into place with cross member A6, which in turn is locked into place with front bulkhead A21 and rear bulkhead A20 using interlocking tabs.  With the fuselage halves glued together, you can't remove A6.

fG1VTI.jpg

After thinking about things for a while, I found a solution that will not affect the strength or the integrity of the assembly.  By cutting a slot at the top of bulkhead A21, I can insert cross member A6 and B20 later.

6aViHE.jpg

So here is how it looks with the front fuselage part C9 left off- and how I will leave it until the end of the build with the gear bay painted.  Since landing gear doors will cover much of this, I'm not going crazy with wiring and other details.  The open hole on the right will be masked off along with the gear bay before painting.

xC3NiX.jpg

At the end, I will add the landing gear and cross member.  I can even glue the front of the cross member from behind.

47gLqS.jpg

Followed by fuselage part C9, which I will make sure is a clean drop in and tight fit, likely using some styrene as backing, so that I won’t have glue marks on a painted surface.  Only downside is that while the panel line on the far right exists, it doesn’t through the arrow shaped tip in the middle.  Since it is very small and on the bottom, I may or may not try to fix it later.  Yeah, I know, I probably will anyway….

t5HHR3.jpg

The front landing gear is a much different problem, because the gear is attached at the very bottom of the assembly and is quite thin and fragile.  Cutting the gear leg and inserting a pin would work, but it has a high chance of being crooked and you will lose length with the cut.

EcAvzh.jpg

Then a lightbulb popped on in my head.  Here is the far gear well wall, Part C2 before modification.

8ULPpY.jpg

Rather than cut a vertical slot as I did with the main gear, I cut a short horizontal one, being very careful to not cut into the hole for the gear leg which has a backing.  This allows the gear leg to swing into the hole later, with a styrene block to fill the gap.  Again, the strength and integrity of the assembly has not been compromised and with the block so small (painted of course), on a vertical wall and on the bottom, you will never see it later without a flashlight.

VJXRgM.jpg

So here is how it will look before final assembly.  The gear leg just swings into place and even clicks into the hole.  Cool!

e5HhOd.jpg

With small styrene block inserted, which will be painted.  The fit is so tight, I may not even glue it.  If I did this again, I would have made the slot slightly smaller, because it ultimately didn’t need to be quite as long.

RfNcdZ.jpg

So there you have it, with 2 small slots cut, I can build this model without landing gear getting in the way after all, which will make assembly a LOT easier!

Happy New Year again boys.  After being stalled on the cockpit for so long, this build is finally gaining some momentum. 

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• chuck540z3 changed the title to Italeri CF-104 Starfighter "Kicked up a Notch": Dec 31, Landing Gear Mod's.

Just a little bit about the nose gear, when after flying the 104 sits a bit nose high as the fuel bladders are no longer full, especially the forward one so the nose oleo is extended more that normal. After a gun mission i would plant myself with a couple of empty 20mm ammo can just behind the nose gear, open the panel to retrieve the empty casings and links while the a/c was being refueled. I could feel the a/c slowly coming down on my head as the fuel was pumped in but usually finished before the fueling was done. Before anyone comments about other things being done at the same time while refueling was taking place, Baden was 15min flying time from the Warsaw Pact border so there were different rules even in peacetime compared to bases across the pond (Atlantic ocean). 

Jari

On 12/29/2020 at 9:51 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Bingo!  This reminded me of the pic you showed earlier of the fuel tank below, which is also yellow.  This is "703", being restored at the Canadian Starfighter museum in Winnipeg.  With grey, black boxes and some yellow, this will look really interesting!

mJzv3a.jpg

I also found this pic in that Facebook link you pointed out of "703".  It should have the older more detailed maple leaf if it has "RCAF", or "CAF" with the modern maple leaf.  I guess most people wouldn't notice or care anyway.

5kk9JQ.jpg

With this info in mind, onward!

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck, that is the correct roundel, as it is the interim leaf used during the RCAF time.   That '104 was restored with meticulous attention to detail.

Tony

12 hours ago, Snowbird3a said:

Chuck, that is the correct roundel, as it is the interim leaf used during the RCAF time.   That '104 was restored with meticulous attention to detail.

Tony

Thanks for that input Tony, I stand corrected!  Pics of "RCAF" and a small emblem at the same time are fairly rare, although they obviously do exist now that I've looked around some more.  I note at the museum they have a pic of this bird flying with the small emblem AND a pic of it with the larger emblem.  I wonder why they chose to paint it this way, since it's so "atypical"?

For those who might be interested and from what I have seen so far, these are more typical.  In the early 60's RCAF had the more detailed maple leaf.  Note this is one serial number after the Winnipeg Starfighter, assuming the serial is accurate.

hnrHWa.jpg

In 1968 when the forces were merged, there was a small maple leaf, but "CAF" instead, but this was for a very short time. 

EJts19.jpg

Followed by the larger maple leaf, which is likely what I will be doing.  Note no gun and the German insignia, so obviously in Germany.  So pretty....

6QCqMD.jpg

In the late 70's, it looks like this one has the gun.

NwHM6h.jpg

And last, no "CAF" on the sides replaced with "Armed Forces", although CAF still survived on the lower wings.

rDvZJK.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3