Sopwith Camel (Old Revell 1/28 Kit)

denders

So, this has been on the shelf, stored away, moved, etc. Started as you can see a long, long, time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.:rolleyes:

I thought I'd dig it out and build it. Of course, the paint and decals that you can see have to be removed. I think it is Humbrol enamel paint, brushed. Actually, I suspect that it was started more than 30 years ago,  perhaps 40. I'll have to do some research on whose aircraft I'll model. I have an early Christmas present of a Cameo 4, so hopefully I can mask and paint all the markings. Should be interesting.

e5CyV5.jpgkbkeSx.jpg8GsOGi.jpguLjZT2.jpgREJlzI.jpgTpYyq7.jpg

For whatever reason, I can't find my Squadron Sopwith Fighters in Action book.

Thank you Alain.

In the mean time, I've been looking and I think I'll do what looks to be Elliot White Springs aircraft. Or at least what I'm going to assume was his aircraft. 148th Aero Squadron, USAS. There is another photo I found on line which has an aircraft with the letter C. It looks to have crash landed and he's in the photo, so perhaps that was his. For the time being I'm going to go with "T". (This is from Osprey Aircraft of the Aces series #52, page 76.)

Now I'm considering the Tom's Modelworks PE that is available, hmmmm.

W3RbR0.jpg

Okay, so while hunting information on the 148th Aero Squadron, I was reminded about this book which contains a profile for the Camel that I was looking for. And from comments I found, one of the WNW Camel kits included these markings??????

I guess that's solved.

I need to get back to work on the T-2 too.

yc0i1Q.jpgV4nSpJ.jpg 

Yes, he was an interesting fellow.

I don't know if anyone here was familiar with Rosemont Hobbies. They produced some vac formed and resin parts for WWI aircraft. Mostly in 1/72. I knew the next to last owner, Barry. (I knew the last owner too.) But as I recall, Barry's favorite WWI pilot was Springs but he seemed to like the period that Springs flew with the RAF on SE5s. When Springs' showed up while I was looking through "Camel Drivers" I went looking for photos, etc. And since the information appeared, I thought I'd do his Camel.

I have the British Guns and Cockpits PE ordered from Tom's Modelworks to add to it.

One of the first kits I actually bought for myself. Rode my bike about 10 miles to a hardware store, and returned home in a snowstorm. One thing to watch for, is a warped upper wing. I remember how it bowed down at the tips, and being new to modelling, I never thought much about it. References? What are those? :) But I had fun and that was the important part.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Maru. Yeah, I looked at the Eduard piece and wondered how noticeable it would be. There's another 1/32 item out there too, don't remember who the maker is. I had also looked through Scalemates and I believe Copper State made a piece way back but its not in their catalog now. I'll just have to make up the Tom's Modelworks items or use the kit parts.