Spitfire Mk VIII

Dpgsbody55

I've now got the pilot's seat finished to a point where it can be mounted in place.  The lap belts are done and in place, as is the armour plating.  The seat belts I'm using are Eduard etch, as me and the cloth ones don't agree....  :blowup:  However, I'm not sure how many more times I'll be fiddling with etch seat belts either as I had real troubles seeing what I was doing with these and finished the session with quite a headache.  Here's the seat and lap belts.

5NGq5d.jpg

Looking at this picture, I'm quite disappointed with the seat as I never noticed that black spot before.  Aged eyes again??

Here's the seat belts attached along with the armour back plate and a seat pan plate that I made from 0.5mm brass sheet.  Some MkVIII's, as well as other later marques also used for low level attacks had this feature, so I've added one to mine as RAAF MkVIII's based on Morotai Island were often used for ground attack.

TTQzC5.jpg

sTATUp.jpg

After a bit of fiddling, the seat is now mounted in in the fuselage.  It took a couple of goes to get it set in place squarely and in all the mount holes.

o5a4c1.jpg

XiQCXY.jpg

I now have a little touch up to do around the glue points, but I think in building the model this way, I've made it a little harder than it should have been.  When I built my MkXVI, I put the seat in last again to make fitting the undercarriage selector and it's hydraulic pipes easier, which I'm happy to do again.  However, in that build, I attached the seat to it's mounting bracket and then put both in the cockpit, which was much less complicated.  I'll do that again next time, but don't ask why I didn't do it this way this time.  :mental:  Here's a picture from that build that I hope illustrates better than my words as to how I built up the seat on the Mk XVI.

3i2Yr4.jpg

This is much easier to mount as you just glue the seat mount to the fuselage frame.

So now I'll have to do the shoulder harness and mount that, then close up the fuselage half.  I'll get on with the belts tomorrow and hopefully not give myself a headache again. :hmmm:  Then, on with the wings :D.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you everyone for your encouragement.  The fuselage is now glued together, and that seat belt is sorted - much easier than the lap belts.  No headaches to report, this time :thumbsup:.

So here's a couple of shots of that seat belt installed.

v6XWyJ.jpg

M1l0xc.jpg

5TNGaG.jpg

You may be able to see in that last picture that I have tidied up some of the faux pas from my previous post.  Ditto the next pic which shows both halves prior to mating.

rXtrQ7.jpg

And here is the fuselage as it is now.

Imywfb.jpg

The fuselage halves went gone together really well.  I have sanded the joint for the rear fuselage and there's no filler required.  I may take a closer look and use a little Mr Surfacer on the joints, but I think that will be it.  The rudder is also built and will be joined to the fuselage tomorrow.

I've now started work on the wings.  Firstly, I've built the undercarriage wheel bays and slopped a little paint around the bays that the gear legs retract into as well as around the radiators.  These will be airbrushed when I do the undersides but I think this will be the final colour, but brushing it on at this stage ensures I won't miss any difficult to airbrush places later.  I've also filled in the orange light in the centre of the wing as this was moved back on MkVIII's to the rear fuselage.  The holes for the nav lights have also been opened up.  The next time you see this, I should have the wing halves together and I may also do some work on the engine.

D5dPnI.jpg

Cheers all, and take care,

Michael

I've been tinkering with the wings on this.  First thing is to add all the panels that Tamiya give you for the different variants.  There's a few as the picture shows.

FTCNfl.jpg

As these parts were drying in place, I built up the elevators, tail planes and ailerons.  Tamiya provide a similar pivot mechanism for these parts to the Trumpeter setup, and neither impress.  It's overly fiddly and while I'm glad the parts are separate, a glued tab joint would suffice.  Also added was the port and starboard nav lights that made their way to the lower wing on the MkVIII.

gxb51W.jpg

The next step is to build up the radiators.  The radiators themselves were painted flat black, then dry brushed in silver to bring out the detail.  I also added etch grilles to the oil coolers.

8gGlG4.jpg

The radiator housings also benefited from more etch for the rad flap operating arm and flap detail, but I elected to use 0.5mm plastic stoc for the rad flap braces, due to utter failures in the past with etch bits.

wsPyHY.jpg

The last thing was to add the gun heat tubes at the back of each radiator, before adding the radiator housings.  These were made from 2.0mm square plastic stock, cur at 45 degrees to form an L shaped tube, then the square edges were rounded.  The port side tube (on the right) is longer to clear the oil cooler.

oy0pqq.jpg

I still have to add on the short span ailerons and their fillet, as well as the wing tips, but that will all happen after the wings have been added.

I've also cleaned up the fuselage join, which didn't need much work at all.  Such a nice model :D.  The only "filler" required was a small dab of Mr Surfacer on the very front tip of the fuselage in front of the petrol filler.  This is yet to be sanded, but that's another job to do before the wings are added.  Lastly, the rudder has been added.  A touch of CA glue was needed as the top pivot didn't want to stay in place.  There's no barb on this piece.

uE1GHL.jpg

That's it for the moment.  Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Michael

A bit more progress, and it's beginning to look like something.  The wings went on next, exactly as they were from my last update.  Sticky tape was used to help set the dihedral properly and evenly, but mostly just to make sure there were no accidents during the glue curing process.  The trailing edge of the wing also needed a little help to stay in place.

nK7B60.jpg

The wing root gaps are almost non existent and will only need the smallest amount of tidy up, which will save a lot of time trying to re-scribe the kit detail. :D

tEIMCB.jpg

Next, on with the tail planes.  this needed a little more help from the sticky tape as they didn't want to sit square to the wings in head on view.

4MQ6sS.jpg

This resulted in the worst gap on the model so far, on the underside of one tail plane.  The other joints are just as good as the wing/fuselage joint.

1irkLR.jpg

Once all this had set, I started on the final part of the wing construction; ailerons, tips and flaps.  After test fitting all the parts, I decided to use the inverse procedure to that advised by the instructions.  This was due to the difficult nature of those fiddly metal pins that are supposed to join the ailerons to the rest of the model.  The wing tip parts would have got in the way.  So here's the ailerons attached.  I used some carefully applied CA glue on all metal pins, as the outer ones have no hook and didn't want to stay in place.

MaP1KF.jpg

The MkVIII version uses the short span ailerons, whereas the MkIX and MkXVI use the original long span ailerons.

56ArmG.jpg

Next, after letting the CA dry and ensuring aileron pivot, in went the fillets that go between the wing tips and ailerons.

Dl7ARR.jpg

Then I immediately attached the wing tips and set both tip and fillet in place with clamps.

akMpLO.jpg

So here's the now complete wings (cannon barrels excluded).

bkCmlD.jpg

The flaps have also been installed, closed, but I forgot to take that picture :rolleyes:.  But you'll know what they look like closed.

Now it's back to that engine and firewall, which have been totally ignored since the first days of this build.

Cheers,

Michael

On 1/19/2021 at 11:25 AM, Dpgsbody55 said:

As these parts were drying in place, I built up the elevators, tail planes and ailerons.  Tamiya provide a similar pivot mechanism for these parts to the Trumpeter setup, and neither impress.  It's overly fiddly and while I'm glad the parts are separate, a glued tab joint would suffice.  

I know - I wish they would not do that.  They add unnecessary complexity to these kits by insisting on engineering movable control surfaces, foldable landing gear, etc.  It's a static display model, not a toy.  I wish they would put that engineering effort towards even more and more accurate cockpit and engine detail instead.

I'm beginning to think that radial engines are easier to detail than inline engines, at least as far as spark plug wires go.  They were difficult enough when I did my Tamiya MkXVI, but this one is driving me round the bend.  Every set I've tried to make so far has ended up in the bin.  :BANGHEAD2:  However, I shall persist a little longer before using the Eduard jobbies.  Better eyes and steadier hands would help.... :(

But here's where it is now, somewhat progressed from the last picture.  Readers may remember that I built up and painted a very bare engine before going on to the fuselage.  I did this because I wanted to put in the oil lines on the starboard side so that nothing would be in my way.  Here is those line now in place.

5pmZtM.jpg

Here it is again with all the remaining kit parts in place.  I'm glad I did it this way as the right magneto would have got in the way.

KA5Opi.jpg

Plumbing on the port side.

WevC9R.jpg

And the last little bit on the right side again.

SFSQoa.jpg

Thought I'd post this just so you all know I haven't consigned the model to the SOD.  So now back to the spark plug wires again.  I want to make my own as using the Eduard ones, which are only supplied for the left magneto, would look quite different to the one I'd have to make for the right mag, which supplies spark to the plugs on the inside of the engine, under the inlet manifold.  I don't want that mis-match as I'm planning on displaying it with most, but not all, cowlings removed.  Once done, I can get on with the firewall and engine mount.

Cheers,

Michael

I think I've now gone cross-eyed, but at long last the ignition system is complete.

After quite a few attempts, I managed to build three sets of spark plug wires; two sets of six for left and right side, and one of 12 for the plugs on the inside of the V.  First up I fitted the set of 12 plug wires, let them set in place, then I poked all the wires down the left and right side of the inlet manifold as appropriate.  Next, I attached them to the magneto using a length of fine electrical cable which bends to shape easily and is the right diameter.  A length of 0.4mm wire was set into the rear of the plug wire run tube and the electric insulation eased back a little so that the now hollow insulation mated with the 0.4mm wire I added, then the protruding copper wire at the other end was glued into a hole drilled into the magneto.  I had previously drilled all the holes for the plug wires on the outer spark plug locations, so the right side set was mounted, allowed to dry then the wires fed into those holes.  Here's the right side:

AmvpE4.jpg

Top view:

pQKlmD.jpg

Lastly, the left side set was mounted, again allowed to dry, and the wires poked into the relevant holes.

1fZDPy.jpg

I still have a little work left to do on the engine, including adding the header tank and making the water hoses to connect to the engine, but I may add a little more around the rear of the engine.  That will depend on how much space I have for such things once I've made the engine mounts and tested for space.

So I've now started work on the firewall so that I can make the mounts.  I haven't got very far today, but I have added some of the kit parts after having first drilled them to take some plumbing.  Here it is so far, glue marks and all...  :(

mOwVE9.jpg

There's also some touch ups required on the engine too, so that's next followed by more fiddly plumbing.  Hopefully I should have something more to show by the end of the weekend.  I haven't got much else I can do other than read a book, thanks to us being in covid lockdown and bush fires raging some distance away raining ash down on us and filling the house with smoke.  Thankfully I'm not otherwise affected, but please spare a thought for those folk who have lost their homes.  2020 doesn't appear to have finished yet.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

On 2/4/2021 at 12:16 AM, Alex said:

Yeah, those V-12 ignition harnesses are not trivial to make, even at 1:32.  Just went through the same process with the Packard Merlin on my Mustang.  Nice result you got!

Thanks Alex.  I'm liking your Mustang build.  :thumbsup:  Building these V-12 ignition harnesses is not at all easy, and made harder as you get more ancient and have to squint more at these things.  But they add so much to a model and look heaps better than the rather 2 dimensional etch jobs.

So my Spitfire build continues with the engine firewall and mounts, as well as some more detail on the engine itself.  Here's the firewall with some plumbing added.

diJo6c.jpg

Next up, after a little tidy up, was to add the engine mounts, and a little more etch detail.

MSXskj.jpg

Then I started on the pipework provided in the kit, starting with the oil system.  This is a bit of a pfaff to put in as it involves two pipes and the oil filler can which has to be mounted so that the aforesaid pipes can be attached.  I did this all in one go, which I think is the best way to get it right.

dq8pHc.jpg

I let this dry before adding the other three pipes.

xbGInE.jpg

Once that was dry, I added some more pipes, as well as the rear brace for the engine mount.

Jna0vE.jpg

GLUcZA.jpg

I still have a few more pipes to add, but I can't do that until the engine is added permanently.  I next added a little of the linkages at the rear of the engine.  These were built from plastic sheet stock and 0.4mm wire.  More squinting :D.

ZcrRUy.jpg

jmN3cv.jpg

So a few hours ago, I added the engine to the firewall/engine mount assembly.

sZsFiU.jpg

zehWvv.jpg

As I said, I have a few more pipes to add to this, the oil tank etc, as well as some touch up work to do first of all.  Next up after that will be to complete this assembly with the cowling mounts, but I'll leave the exhausts of those mounts until I get to the final stage after painting.  I won't be adding the air intake below the carbie as I'll display this with the bottom cowl permanently in place.  But to give myself a little inspiration, here it is placed, but not glued, on the plane.

xne3xC.jpg

I used the top cowl to check alignment and at this stage, I'm happy with that. 

dfHa0C.jpg

So a bit more engine work, then back to the model itself so I can get it to a point at which I can apply some paint.  I don't think I'll be displaying it on the stand as it's pilot-less, but I did build up the stand to see what it might look like anyway.  Until the next update.

Cheers,

Michael