Spitfire Mk VIII

Dpgsbody55

Just a quick update as I'll be putting this aside for a few days while I return to another build.  The pilot's seat frame is now finished. I've not added the volt regulator visible at the top of the seat frame as it was not positioned here on the MkVIII.  That leaves only one other part, the altitude switch which was painted before assembly and "wired" up.  The rear frame was then glued into place on the floor (or what passes for such on the Spitfire :D), along with the seat frame and joining brace at the top, as was the completed instrument panel/controls assembly.  This was placed into the fuselage and both fuselage halves taped together to act as a jig.  Here's the result once dry.

YfVHRt.jpg

rLOAvO.jpg

This is what it looks like in the right fuselage half.  The pictures are just for effect.  As you can see, I've also started the "plumbing" of the cockpit, but more will be added later.

WwxtRp.jpg

2j2dj9.jpg

So far, I'm happy with this model, despite Tamiya not providing the cockpit parts for a MkVIII.  That's it for the moment.  I'll be putting this aside for a few days while I get back to what I hope will be a fix for the windscreen issue encountered on my P-40B build, but I think I'll be back at the cockpit plumbing on this within a week.

Cheers,

Michael

The left side of the cockpit is now finished.  This is probably the easier side to detail.

CbIBIC.jpg

It's close to OOB but I have added some Eduard etch as well as the cabling.  I've also mounted the voltage regulator on the lower edge, moved from behind the pilot's headrest.  MkVIII's had quite a few differences in the cockpit layout which Tamiya haven't carried through to the model.  Unfortunately I don't have enough pictures of the MkVIII cockpit, but I do know that the voltage regulator was mounted roughly where I have it.  It definitely couldn't go in the kit allocated spot as it's too visible there and not appropriate for the MkVIII.  I think the air tanks were somewhere else, as was the map pocket, but I don't know where.  The space occupied by the map pocket had a large electric junction box in it's place, but I decided not to replicate that as it would be too time consuming, and I think it would have been better to make a junction box before gluing anything together.  I'd already gone past that point, and the lack of decent pictures also contributed to my decision to go the way I have.  So the cabling goes to the stock kit fusebox instead. 

Here's a couple of gratuitous shots with the cockpit "floor" in place, just for effect.

qf46zO.jpg

aFuDIm.jpg

On with the right side. :D

Cheers,

Michael

On 1/3/2021 at 10:25 PM, MARU5137 said:

Just popped  by to see how goes it!

:popcorn:

Thanks for asking.

I've taken a few days off the project, but have re-commenced with some work on the right side of the cockpit.  Hopefully an update in a few more days.

Cheers,

Michael

The right side of the cockpit is now finished.  I added some more of the Eduard etch details such as the plaques and IFF guage, plus some more wiring and plumbing using 0.3 and 0.5mm black wire, as well as 0.3mm steel wire which was painted in the interior colour.  A copper wire was used for the pneumatic pipe which I believe had a "tap" on it, so I made one of these from plastic sprue and stock.  The oxygen hose is a short length of guitar string, and the hose retainers are Eduard etch.  I wish I'd not glued the black oxygen bottle which is part of the pneumatic system at this time as it made fitting the cockpit interior a bit of a pain.  However, I did this as I thought it might be a pain installing it after as the instructions said.  Yer pays yer money and yer makes yer choice!! :lol:

UFPFxy.jpg

While this was being built, I also worked on the undercarriage lever quadrant and it's pipes.  This was also embellished with more etch, but I used the stock lever, rather than cut off the plastic one and glue in a fragile etch job.  Then four 0.5mm holes were drilled for the hydraulic pipes to be fitted which I made from 0.45mm brass rod.  The pipes were bent around the frame supporting the  instrument panel (frame 8) and took a fair amount of time to bend  and adjust so that the quadrant sat in place.

wm4r0z.jpg

Next, the previously completed cockpit floor/instrument panel/seat frame assembly was glued into place and the left side fuselage half placed together as a jig.  Note that the undercarriage selector quadrant is not yet fitted.

63eXQm.jpg

After an hour, the U/C quadrant was then fitted, jiggled into place around frame 8.  I did the same thing with my MkXVI build a few years back and found it easier that time than this.  Musta done something different so I'll be reviewing the photos of that build so I don't have the same issues next time.

vfcGYo.jpg

xaKzrl.jpg

Here it all is with the left side taped into place so we can both get an idea of the finished job.  I'm sure once the seat is in, I won't be able to see as much!!

GsfIgd.jpg

Left side view.

q6xmsY.jpg

YMEyZg.jpg

Next I'll complete the pilot's pew, seat belts and install these, then I'll be closing up the fuselage.  That will be the next update.

Cheers,

Michael