mozart

That's a bummer, Max! What paint did you use for the serials? I can see MRP bottles in the background, so if it was those, they shouldn't have been any trouble. Is it possible that the adhesive on the transfer sheet touched parts of the exposed surface to be painted, and contaminated it?

By the way, I'm jealous of your new Fury!

Kev

It is indeed Mike, but all's well that ends well:

tFsry1.jpg

VbcIEv.jpg

My default scale-black paint is RLM 66, which I've used here and is a matt finish but with the first flawed attempt I used NATO black (for some reason) which has a slightly satin finish.  I can't see why that would make any difference but good old RLM 66 has worked again!  She's starting to look rather pretty:

7A1WyS.jpg

FxZQjW.jpg

V2uWXO.jpg

Just the fuselage "7" and the rudder serial number to do then I can get the top wing on permanently, what a relief that will be, and start rigging!

11 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow Max! Sounds like one of my episodes..... disaster averted followed by a good recovery. Not sure either in what might have been the cause of the first go round. Strange indeed, but the recovery is brilliant!

As my old mum, bless her, used to say "These things are sent to try us!".

• 2 weeks later...

Not too far to go now with the Fury build, but the few remaining pieces to fit, such as they are (or aren't! :wacko:) are posing a bit of a challenge.  I'm looking at the upper nose area where guns, gunsights, an oil filler cap, windscreen and a miscellaneous vertical tube (fuel gauge?) not to mention quite a complex set of rigging wires have to fit prior to the top wing going on.  The instructions aren't a great deal of help:

qSVRgb.jpg

but when you look at the real thing you get a better idea:

XiZnwe.png

fgyIyT.jpg

The long tube is an Aldis sight (32 inches long and 2 inches in diameter) which as supplied in the kit was pathetically inadequate, so I raided my pile of Silver Wings kits and decided that the AW Siskin was to be the donor of an Aldis sight and the ring for the ring and bead sight, (this wasn't supplied at all in the Alley Cat Fury kit) since the Siskin is the least likely to be built.  So we have this:

yptNDB.jpg

The Aldis sight to which I've added a couple of support rods, the PE ring sight, two anonymous resin items (after some cogitation I decided the left hand one is the aerial wire insulator which fits aft of the cockpit and the right hand the unnamed vertical tube/fuel gauge, and two slightly wonky machine guns! :coolio:  The wonkiness won't show, I decided, once they are nestled in the gun troughs!  So I cut off a slice of 2mm plastic rod for the filler cap, made a bead sight (also not supplied nor shown) and fitted the lot roughly where I thought they should go!  If they are not in the exact spot I'm not too bothered, I was very conscious of the need to fit rigging shortly as well and I didn't want fouling of the rigging lines.

43eiZr.jpg

I think once it's all painted it'll look OK, just the windshield and rigging to think about now.