mozart

17 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Looking good Max, very clean build, such a pretty airframe indeed.

Regards.Andy 

The fuselage halves took some work Andy, quite a bit of filling and sanding to get a reasonable finish.

2 minutes ago, mgbooyv8 said:

Hi Max,

That's looking very good!

As always time well spent. :)

Reassuring to know that lower wings with fuselage and the cabane struts with the top wing makes for a sturdy assembly.

This makes life so much easier with biplanes.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Peter

Yes Peter, such a contrast to my fragile handle-with-extreme-care SW Tiger Moth! 

On 5/4/2021 at 5:06 AM, mozart said:

It's been a while, for which my apologies.  The build has been progressing slowly and I know will not be finished before the GB end time (again!), but I'm pleased with the over all look of this beautiful fighter.  The fuselage and lower wings are firmly glued, the top wing just resting on the cabane struts for now.  The construction is very sturdy which, for a biplane model, is reassuring!

XxG89E.jpg

4Afr4G.jpg

The two Hawkers, with the T7 Hunter in the background are separated by what, 20 - 30 years but light years in design and complexity.

That's absolutely gorgeous Max!  Always love following your work...that is such a beautiful looking aeroplane

Cheers Anthony

I've been trying to understand how the cryptic instructions and drawings would have you assemble the back end of the Fury.....not easy!!  Fortunately when I paid a visit to Brooklands a couple of years ago I took some detailed shots of their beautiful Fury....these have saved my bacon!

7YGYyD.jpg

5EiM3f.jpg

ujHOoA.jpg

I had already glued the horizontal tailplane in place but that has come off so that I can now start to reconstruct how it actually should look.  Pictures later hopefully if progress goes smoothly. :blush:

Well I'm rather pleased with the way things are going with the Fury's aft end!  This shows a substitute piece which sets the height of the tailplane, the original was as straight as the dog's back leg:

CI8o7a.jpg

I had pondered for ages what these little semi-circular bits were for, they have been in my "yet to be identified" bag of parts for ages, but this morning the penny dropped!

GZMRam.jpg

Firstly though I drilled and added "pegs" for the fin:

zynBWq.jpg

then trial fitted the rudder, that was the "Eureka!!" moment - hinges for the lower two positions!!  Alleluia......

wSFqu5.jpg

All looking promising so far, but with the horizontal tailplane?  

w2Y6KX.jpg

Looks good enough to me, just a matter of carefully putting it all permanently in place now.

Good outcome, very happy with the final result

WHmH4O.jpg

Starting to look like a Fury now.  The next task is to drill rigging points, then make up my mind what finish to give her.

Xn1C6R.jpg

I was hoping to do a spatted version, I know that early kits were supplied with spats as an option so I wrote to Alley Cat on the off chance some might still be available to buy, but not heard a dicky bird back, which I think is a pity having spent £100+ on the kit in the first place.  Civility and good manners on the other hand are free.

An update on the Fury.  The perceived wisdom with this kit is to fix the interplane struts in position, paint and then add the upper wing - who am I to question? :) The struts are white metal and therefore bend quite easily but getting everything to fit was quite a challenge.  I'm just about there now I think, the upper wing "locks" into position in a very positive way so I hope there will be no further surprises.  I've also drilled out all the location holes for the rigging turnbuckles ready for the next stage which is painting, and I STILL haven't decided on my favourite scheme, though I'm rather tempted by this one, it has a bit of everything:

V78Mlt.jpg

L8zVIq.jpg

09vMDQ.jpg

2UsiXm.jpg

CUMRIG.jpg

I love this photograph not only for the detail that it shows of the Fury, but also the characters.  They are, left to right, "Prosser" Hanks, "Johnnie" Walker, "Tops" Boxer and "Teddy" Donaldson, all members of the 1937 RAF formation team.  Three years later they would find themselves in action in the Battle of France flying Hurricane Mk 1s.  Brilliant flyers they all were for sure, but the rigid straitjacket of aerial tactics employed by the Air Staff/RAF at the beginning of the war against the experienced Luftwaffe meant that they were very, very lucky to survive the first few days of aerial battle let alone the 6 years of war regardless of their skills.

ca7rmA.jpg

Edited by mozart

2 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Just catching back up on this one my friend..............

Lovely work!  I too am really drawn to that mix of green/brown camo over yellow and NMF.  Nice!  Uhmmm I mean Brilliant! :lol:

You remember then Brian! :P

Up on the chocks ready to receive the undercarriage:

osxmlU.jpg

9OHkB0.jpg

but on closer inspection whilst trying to understand how it all goes together, I see one of the wheels is imperfectly formed or damaged:

DDumxZ.jpg

I think it's not too much of a job to make and fix but, although I'm really enjoying the kit and looking forward to seeing it as part of my "stable", it's the latest in quite a long line of deficiencies that have needed to be corrected or scratch-built.  Ah well, it's character forming I guess! :frantic: