mozart

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As the old Blues song goes, "Got my mojo workin' " so it's on with the Fury....a gentle but slightly nerve-wracking start because this phase sets the sit and look of the whole plane, sounds ominously familiar to me!  

The construction sequence is rather unusual in that at this early stage you secure the cabane struts to the fuselage halves but not to the wings. They comprise a rear "V" shape and forward "l" shape and as can be seen are made from white metal.  The good news is that the fitting lugs are quite prominent and locate very positively into the locating holes, which is just as well because correct alignment is critical at this stage.  I love the comment of the chap who did the build on Hyperscale that I'm using: "In theory, the entire wing geometry is now fixed."

8s8z6f.jpg

Z4plVz.jpg

r2LI6n.jpg

zCTS6w.jpg

All will be left to firmly set overnight, and slightly annoyingly I'm away tomorrow.  The complicated cockpit construction is next so I'll probably take some bits with me to clean up resin moulding blocks. 

Edited by mozart

So the plan is to get on with the cockpit internals today in the Fury, but it occurred to me that a little comparison might be in order as the build progresses.  Lukgraph recently produced a Nimrod, essentially a "Navalised" Fury but pretty similar in most important aspects.  So looking at the two fuselages:

BJmP2h.jpg

Not too much obvious here apart from the width and position of the cockpit and its access, which is shown more here:

8rLESi.jpg

Whilst starting from the nose there's agreement, as you go aft everything seems further back on the AlleyCat one. Further comparisons inside and out:

utozF0.jpg

But which is the more accurate?  Hmmm, several factors here.  Firstly, how accurate is the profile?  I used the Granger drawing from "On Silver Wings":

fPyPnY.jpg

I love aircraft fitted with spats, so tempted to do this one!  I played around with superimposed images:

QmhU15.png

8R3mrr.png

and both together:

M4DczJ.jpg

I think Lukgraph's profile is better, really slim and streamlined whereas AlleyCat's is quite porky by comparison, but they win on the cockpit position and forward metal vs aft fabric coverage.

Ah well, it is what it is!  Both kits excite me and both will look the part when completed, I'm certainly not about to put the Fury on a diet to slim it down.  Enough theorising, on with the build!

Nothing to show in pictures just yet for my afternoon’s labours for it was spent trying to identify the myriad of bits, most very small, that fit “somewhere” in the cockpit, and then cleaning them up. I have “identified” that several bits are missing and will have to be manufactured by me, and that whilst the resin is quite pleasant to work with, it’s also prone to warpage. 
The instructions are as vague as the drawings so lots of trial and error, and no doubt cussing will ensue! 

The major bits of the cockpit. For strength and an attempt at squareness I’ve made the main cross members out of metal rod, only the lower ones are glued in place so far for later ease of access. Next up is a bit of painting after I’ve researched colours. The cockpit is pure Silver Wings! 

BfKi7o.jpg

I’ve just read through all of Peter Castle’s superlative Fury build, it makes all of this seem rather trivial  but  the Fury is such a beautiful aeroplane so my 1/32 build will satisfy me. Peter has lots of very useful information and pictures which I have shamelessly nicked! Cheers Peter. 

Edited by mozart

Hi Max

Hope you are staying safe and are well fella.  I saw you mentioned a Fury in your Tiggie thread so just had to check it out, love the look of the Fury what a beautiful machine which looks as though it's  going fast standing still.

Great start fella would love one of these, but just going to be happy with my Airfix and Lindberg kits in 48th scale. 

Chris

Cheers Chris, all's well thanks and having fun!  I think you have the Lukgraph Nimrod, well I've done a further comparison using a factory drawing in Peter Castle's thread:

kwmuDU.png

so it's as accurate as it gets. I wasn't sure how good the previous drawing reference, Granger's drawing was though I know he's usually highly rated.  However I've done another exercise using the Hawker drawings, pretty much the same results but I'm astonished how accurate the Lukgraph fuselage is!

tklbJl.jpg

and still how too deep the AlleyCat one is.  Also their exhausts are too low, all has slipped south from a good top line! 

RgaPFr.jpg

I'm getting on with my cockpit, pictures tomorrow.  Did the Sutton harnesses this afternoon, fortunately I ordered quite a stock of them for my Silver Wings build last year, how fortunate was that!

A couple of shots of work in progress in the cockpit area, the most recent additions yet to be painted when the CA is dry.  I can't guarantee that everything is in its right place nor that it's the right item but it's the best I can do from the sketchy instructions and more importantly......it'll do for me!! :D:P  I'll probably add a couple of generic wires and/or control rods just to tart it up a bit.

Rew2TG.jpg

I’ve got the trim wheel in the wrong place, too far aft, so today I’ve got to delicately ease that away without hopefully too much damage and re-position it.

e2JLac.jpg

Edited by mozart