Priller Double Thriller , Part 1 Complete - Revell 190

Panzerwomble

Excellent , not done a group build ever , but this gives me a great excuse to have a crack at this over the Xmas break having sat on the shelf for three months .

I assume it fits within the rules ? IMG-2470.jpg

Edited by Panzerwomble
Change title

• 2 weeks later...

Okey dokey ...making a start . Haven't done a Luftywaffy build for ........8 years .....maybe longer, and that was a really old 1/48 kit someone bought me . I'm a bit out of touch with all of the RLM codes. Personally I always struggle with Revells way of doing paint call outs (and their paints which I don't use) , the last two LSP builds I used Tamiyas colour schemes downloaded from their instructions instead. 

Anyway, got the pretty much OOB pit done , and zipped into the fuselage which is a start . Not feeling the OOB decals , I really fancy (cliched though it may be ) doing Priller's Black 13 scheme from June 44  . There are plenty of references for this a/c and some Peddinghaus decals in 1/32, plus for some reason his ace of hearts 190 always had a soft spot for me as a child . On with the show ! 

IMG-2498-2.jpg

IMG-2502.jpg

IMG-2509.jpg

IMG-2511.jpg

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190-A8-JG26-B13-Josef-Pril

• 2 weeks later...

So , huge progress .....or maybe not . Just posting this too remind me to keep on with this one as much as anything else ! 

Not a lot to say , ordered some decals for Prillers 190 / Black 13, removed the moulded trim tabs to replace with thinner material later on . Got the engine build next , technically speaking to match the photos I've got I don't need it , as the panels are all in place as the plane is pushed back into a hanger , although as a model it might be nice to be able to remove them to show the engine . Decisions decisions. Also it looks like the drop tank attaches to the centreline in a different manner to the kit ... more research needed  

Side note - Priller sadly died of a heart attack at age 45 whilst running the family brewery in Bavaria ; his son Sebastian ( on the right below ) stills runs it . 

IMG-2558.jpg

familie-priller-riegele-cc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

.......& back after a little while a brief update

Some progress, as predicted the engine I spent some time building , caused no end of problems when it came to attaching the cowlings and frankly will never be seen again . Slight misalignment of the mounting was the main culprit . 

With hindsight , I could have just built the front cylinders , would have been an easier fit and since I was 99% certain it would be covers closed........, meh . 

So engine in , covers on , some filling around and about but a reasonable fit. Decals from Peddinghaus arrived as well . 

Made a start on the basic paint , used Lifecolour.....mixed emotions on that , perhaps not as bad as some would have it , but not as good for me, as my "go to" Tamiya. I quite fancy giving MRP a go sometime but getting hold of them in the UK seems problematic. 

Mottling on the sides is way too pronounced as of now  so going to have a rethink on that / re paint , and then I'll be using my more common techiques for blending weathering and chipping . 

Sorry for the low res pics ,  my Iphone doesn't want to perform today .

IMG-2621-1.jpg

IMG-2622-1.jpg

IMG-2623-1.jpg

Edited by Panzerwomble

Well, if it matters, Priller’s 190 wasn’t an R-2 variant and wouldn’t have the outboard 30mm cannon.  It would’ve had the 20mm cannon instead (unless they were removed).  The underwing details for the 30mm cannon vs. the 20mm cannon are quite different.   There’s also no armor plate on the sides of the fuselage.

This Revell kit is the R-2 Sturmbock aircraft which was a dedicated bomber attack aircraft equipped with additional armor plating on either side of the cockpit, additional armored glass on both the windscreen and on some R-2 aircraft, armored glass on the sides of the canopy.  Additionally, the 13mm machine guns in the cowl were removed and faired over.  

If it doesn’t matter then carry on with the above information as a footnote for informational purposes only.

Edited by Juggernut

9 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Well, if it matters, Priller’s 190 wasn’t an R-2 variant and wouldn’t have the outboard 30mm cannon.  It would’ve had the 20mm cannon instead (unless they were removed).  The underwing details for the 30mm cannon vs. the 20mm cannon are quite different.   There’s also no armor plate on the sides of the fuselage.

This Revell kit is the R-2 Sturmbock aircraft which was a dedicated bomber attack aircraft equipped with additional armor plating on either side of the cockpit, additional armored glass on both the windscreen and on some R-2 aircraft, armored glass on the sides of the canopy.  Additionally, the 13mm machine guns in the cowl were removed and faired over.  

If it doesn’t matter then carry on with the above information as a footnote for informational purposes only.

Cheers yes , I'm aware of some of the differences , I'm modelling by eye from photos rather than any huge in depth knowledge of the aircraft . The 30mm I was aware off and are not on there , & the kit comes with an unarmoured canopy , but the armour plate I can do less about . TBH the swap to a "Priller" aircraft was a little capricious & mainly because I wasn't feeling the kit offering and they were both A8's . :thumbsup: 

I suppose in future it might be worth me asking all this up front on the forum before setting off with glue  :rofl:

• Panzerwomble changed the title to Priller Double Thriller , Revell 190 - Done BF109E Starting

Greetings,... done  the FW 190 . Marked up as Priller's A8 around D-Day .  Lifecolour paints were ok , but very fragile , Peddinghaus decals again ok but frankly could have made my own of similar quality . Some slight discrepancies as to variant as mentioned above, but hey looks ok to me . As per the wartime pics she's quite dirty and beaten up , I reckon they were knocking out a lot of sorties a day by June 44. 

Also as I have recently received a Trumpeter 109, with earlier Priller markings , I'm going to keep on with the Lufty LSP theme and do this one in the same GB as well if thats ok , a "double Priller thriller" .

IMG-2659.jpg

IMG-2636.jpg

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190-A8-JG26-B13-Josef-Pril]

IMG-2663.jpg

IMG-2657.jpg

IMG-2649.jpg

IMG-2637.jpg

IMG-2665.jpg

Edited by Panzerwomble

• Panzerwomble changed the title to Priller Double Thriller , Revell 190 - Done ..... Now Starting BF109E